tazechip
tazechip,
Experience:  dasdasd
18722459

I am 71 years old. I scored 4.4 on a recent PSA test. No lump

I am 71 years old. I scored 4.4 on a recent PSA test. No lump was felt, he said my prostate was soft. My doctor is recommending a biopsy taking 12 cores for testing. A year ago my PSA level was 4.1, six months ago my PSA level was 3.8. I am also concerned that the biopsy could cause cancer to spread if it is present. Is this the best course to take oare other posiblilites.
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
I understand your concern and this is a common concern for many people. The simple answer is no, the biopsied won't cause cancer to spread, and it hasn't even be established that you have cancer. The fact that your PSA is rising so rapidly is the reason for the biopsies, but it doesn't mean for certain that you have cancer. As far as the right course to take, you do have the option of getting a second opinion, and it might be appropriate first to have a prostate ultrasound.