Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have been feeling dizzy, lightheaded, and unbalanced for

I have been feeling dizzy, lightheaded, and unbalanced for the last few days as well as a strong headache. It has finally progressed to the inability to leave my home. Could this be releated to my epilepsy or my medication eventhough I haven't had a seizure in 1 year? I am a 23 year old otherwise healthy student.
Submitted: 2 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

This could be related to either your epilepsy

MD Doc :

OR possibly toxicity/ side-effects from the medications used to treat epilepsy

MD Doc :

You need to be urgently evaluated by your primary care physician / your neurologist for proper diagnosis and management

MD Doc :

Drug levels in the blood,

MD Doc :

and a repeat EEG may need to be planned after a detailed neurological evaluation

MD Doc :

If you are a student, I would recommend going to the University medical center

MD Doc :

and they would suggest the appropriate course of action

Customer:

yes i just moved and I don't have any doctors here yet

Customer:

how urgent is this? i am at the point that i can't leave my home as i feel too lightheaded

MD Doc :

Common side-effects of Lamotrigine (Lamictal) include loss of balance or coordination, double vision, crossed eyes, blurred vision, dizziness and lack of coordination, drowsiness, insomnia, anxiety, vivid dreams or nightmares, dry mouth, mouth ulcers

MD Doc :

So this is very likely

Customer:

but i have been on this medication for a year and a half

MD Doc :

If you are very light headed, you may faint, and this becomes an urgent problem in this situation

Customer:

last med increase was in june

MD Doc :

Call 911 or a friend if available in close vicinity and report to the nearest medical center

MD Doc :

Are you taking any contraceptive pills too ?

Customer:

none, but i also take synthroid, celexa and zopiclone

Customer:

could this be an indicator of my seizures starting again?\

MD Doc :

It could certainly be,

MD Doc :

but more likely possibility is side-effect related to Lamictal

MD Doc :

only further evaluation by a medical specialist can confirm the exact cause

MD Doc :

Get help ASAP

Customer:

even after being on it for over a year? i though side effects only lasted within the first few weeks?

Customer:

i don't know if i mentioned it but i have also had a persistent headache for about a week now, i have it when i wake up, all day, and then it is still there when i go to bed

MD Doc :

It can all be related to drug related side-effect, you mentioned that the dose was increased in June ?

MD Doc :

this year

Customer:

yes

MD Doc :

That could be a possible culprit...

MD Doc :

the higher dose may be leading to increased drug level in the body causing these symptoms

MD Doc :

but we cannot assume this, since stopping abruptly could precipitate seizures again

Customer:

interesting and how long should these symptoms last for? do i possibly need a new medication?

Customer:

yes i don't want to bring my seizures back

MD Doc :

You may need a different medicine, or titration to a lower dose,

MD Doc :

again all this is hypothetical till we are sure as to the cause of your symptoms

Customer:

ok, is this something i should go to the hospital about?

MD Doc :

Get a medical consult ASAP

MD Doc :

yes

Customer:

i believe our university centre is only appointment based

MD Doc :

There has to an emergency system in place

MD Doc :

try to find out by asking around

Customer:

yes, i just want the fastest route, if i go to the university clinic and sit there for hours and then have to go to the hospital and sit there for hours...might be better to bypass the clinc depending on how i feel

Customer:

if i went to an er would this be something that would be considered semi important? ie i would have a decreased wait time?

Customer:

i just dont want to go to the ER if it is not urgent

MD Doc :

I understand

Customer:

so in your opinion, should i go to the hospital tomorrow or wait for an appointment on Friday?

MD Doc :

tomorrow is better

Customer:

how would they be able to tell if it is my medication level?

MD Doc :

By doing a clinical exam

MD Doc :

and drug levels in the blood as needed

Customer:

and if the med level is fine, what would be the next course of action?

MD Doc :

They would either titrate to a lower dose and see if it remains effective

MD Doc :

or change to a different medication

Customer:

hmm and it this something that is done on an inpatient or outpatient thing? I live on my own and I don't want to start having seizures at home alone if my med is decreased

MD Doc :

All this needs to be done generally under out patient monitoring

MD Doc :

Again let's get to the cause first

MD Doc :

all this discussion is "what if" and hypothetical till the exact cause is established

Customer:

yes i understand that, so I should go to the hospital asap as the is unlikely to resolve on its own?

MD Doc :

Yes

MD Doc :

you should go to the hospital ASAP as the issue is likely to worsen if not treated

MD Doc :

appropriately

Customer:

yes thats what i was thinking considering i now cannot get out of my bed or couch without felling down

Customer:

*falling

MD Doc :

I understand

MD Doc :

Call a friend

MD Doc :

or 911 if you are unable to move at all

MD Doc :

and get a medical opinion immediately

MD Doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer:

ok, well thanks for all of you help, is there a way that I can talk to you again if i needed it?

MD Doc :

Sure

MD Doc :

This thread can be reactivated at any point of time,

MD Doc :

once you post here, I will get an emai

MD Doc :

email

MD Doc :

If you want to ask a new question, just direct it for Mddoc or Dr Gaurav Gupta (write this in the question itself)

MD Doc :

and I will try to get back

Customer:

ok perfect, thanks so much!

Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.