Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

how long does it take to recover from stimulant laxative abuse I quit 3 months ago and no

how long does it take to recover from stimulant laxative abuse? I quit 3 months ago and now have developed gerd, which I never had before. Is this from the laxs and will it get better?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
What is the name of the laxative?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dolcolax stimulant laxatives. I took 8 nightly for 3 years.
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
Dulcolax doesn't cause GERD.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh?
What are your symptoms?
Do you have the following symptoms?
A burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), sometimes spreading to the throat, along with a sour taste in your mouth?
Chest pain?
Difficulty swallowing?
Dry cough?
Hoarseness or sore throat?
Regurgitation of food or sour liquid?
Sensation of a lump in the throat?

Did you see your doctor?
Do you have any other symptoms associated with your problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been diagnosed with an ulcer in the antrum( stomach ). I had an endoscopy which discovered this. I actually quit abusing the laxatives 3 months ago due to this pain caused by the ulcer. The severe acid and reflux came on suddenly 2 weeks after I quit laxes. The er doc I went to perscribed me Zantac 300mg which worked for a few days and I had no side effects. Then it stopped working as well. When I had my consult with the GI doctor who set up the endoscopy he prescribed my prilosec 20 mg. I had a very bad reaction to this med. Severe diarreah, nausia, dizziness, confusion. So I only took one dose. I went back on zantac 300. Only this time the generic ranitadine. I became confused and did nothing but cry for the entire day. Obviously can't take that. I am now taking prevacid 15mg. I tolerate this only allittle better than the prilosec. Diarreah, nausia, weird mild headache, weakness. My abdomin is so uncomfortable and tense. When I get heartburn it feels like acid is burning behind my breastbone. It is bad enough that I can't help crying. I get very nausiated. And my whole stomach feels like it is full of acid. Like I fight feel better if I could vomit. I have Factor V Leiden. I am 30 years old, and a mother of two. I take Atenolol 1/4 a 25mg tablet twice daily. Iwas on an aspirin regament but stopped 2 months ago.
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I can't help you. Other experts will help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I Abused Laxatives and am suffering severe withdrawl symptoms. I am 30 years old. 5 ft. tall. I weight 124 lbs. I am the mother of two girls, 5 and 6. I have factor V leiden and take atenolol 1/4 25mg tablet twice daily. I abused dulcolax stimulant laxaitives for 3 years taking 8 nightly in order to lose weight. I developed a pain in my stomach and decided to stop about 3 months ago. I received an endoscopy which reveiled a small ulcer in the antum. 2 weeks into my recovery i had a sudden increase in stomach acid and reflux that send me to tears daily. My doc persribed prilosec which made me seriously ill. Severe diareah,nasia, confusion. I can tolerate Zantac but even 300 mg does not do the trick. I am now on Prevacid 15 mg. and still have some acid but the side effects are not as severe as with the prilosec. Still have nausia and diarreah just not as bad. I don't know what to do . Do i take 15mg more of the prevacid? How long is this going to last. Will I be able to get better enough to get off this stuff? Is this a result of the Lax abuse? please help!!!

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

Yes, 30 mg of prevacid is a pretty standard dose. He probably gave you 15 to avoid side effects.

The ulcer should heal in time and your system will get back to normal.

It could be partially because of the laxatives but now that you are off it should heal.

also, make sure they tested you for a bacteria called H pylori (it causes ulcers).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long can I expect to experience the gerd or the intense intestinal contractions? They are making me severely nausiated.

It may take some time.

Have they improved at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no actually they seem to be getting abit worse with time.

3 months is actually a pretty long time.

I initially thought you said 3 weeks.

What does the GI doc think?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i only saw him for the ulcer should i go for the other symptoms ?

Yes. It sounds as if you may have developed irritable bowel syndrome.

Other things like celiac disease should be rule out too.

He can do this for you too.

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution