Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

right side of face is swollen near ear for no reason-not itchy

right side of face is swollen near ear for no reason-not itchy or anything worried
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA,

Is it painful to open your mouth or chew?

Any fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not painful but can feel it swollen

no fever

Thanks for the information.

You may be having mild "parotitis" or inflammation of the parotid gland which lies just in front of each ear.

Bacterial infection in parotitis results from the accumulation and growth of bacteria within the salivary glands. Among the most common causes of parotitis is obstruction of the salivary duct or poor oral hygiene.
Drugs that cause dry mouth such as some antihistamines like benadryl can increase the risk of parotitis. So, you need to stop taking benadryl right away.

Please go to your GP, get clinicaly examined and he/she will advise you for treatment or refer you to an ENT specialist.

Meanwhile, you can do the following:

Warm salt water rinses (1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of water) may be soothing and keep the mouth moist.

Drink lots of water and use sugar-free lemon drops to increase the flow of saliva and reduce swelling. Massaging the gland with heat may help.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

If you would like to give credit for my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON. Feedback and Bonus would be highly regarded.

With Regards,
Dr. Bora.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My tooth hurts on the other side of my face-can this be related?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can this be cancer of lymph nodes
Sorry to keep you waiting.

If you have caries teeth , there is a possibility for swelling of lymph nodes, but this is uncommon.

However, swollen lymph nodes is definitely a possibility but one cannot say it is cancer or benign without doing further investigations like ultrasound followed by confirmatory FNAC for diagnosis.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

With Regards,
Dr. Bora.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.