Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor

I have been experiencing a burning pain sensation over my heart

I have been experiencing a burning pain sensation over my heart for about a week. Saw my cardiologist yesterday. An EKG was conducted, which proved to be fine. He further examined and found that the site of the most painful sensation was near my heart, but where the connective tissues for the rib cage all come together. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory, Naproxen 500 mg, 1 tablet 2x daily. With follow-up planned next week.
He asked I check in with him today; I spoke with his nurse who described my condition as Costrocondritis (which she and her daughter had both experienced), and said that the anti-inflammatory plus ice packs would eventually bring relief. She stated it was a viral inflammation. The cardiologist did not mention this diagnosis, per se, yesterday. I have researched on line to learn more, but am only worrying myself more. I have mitral valve prolapse. My husband died six months ago, and I have been under a tremendous amount of emotional stress. I am wondering if the stress factors are having an impact on bringing about this pain. Can you comment?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. German replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer , under your situation ,the anxiety and the emotional stress You have been going through could definitely precipitate this symptomatology . When you are under a lot of stress ,your body releases a lot of catecholamines, which could precipitate these type of symptoms.

However , my best advice for you ,specially if the pain does not improve , it is going to the Emergency .

These type of symptoms could be caused by the presence of a clot in the coronary arteries or the temporary blockage or obstruction of the heart blood flow ( angina) , which reduces the deliver of Oxygen to your heart ( which could lead to what doctors called heart attack) . This condition must be managed immediately.

Besides Costochondritis , other condition that could produce this burning sensation and that should be investigated are : Gastroesophageal Reflux ( in this condition, the stomach acid juices flow back into teh esophagus or an hiatal hernia ( in this condition,part of the stomach protrudes into the thoracic cavity through a diaphragmatic muscle tear or area of weakness ) . Other condition that can produce burning sensation is gastritis ( stomach lining tissue inflammation).

If the pain persists, go to the emergency to be evaluated immediately .

The doctor will need to perform further tests that could include an angiography, chest X-rays ,esophageal manometry and endoscopy to determine which of these conditions is producing your symptoms so You can receive the adequate treatment.

Please click accept if you like the answer so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.