Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have a very movable lump on top of my left rib cage. It

I have a very movable lump on top of my left rib cage. It is beneath my bra strap. It is about an inch long and fairly narrow. It almost feels like a tendon. It doesn't hurt. I am fairly thin so maybe that is why I noticed it so easily. I just had a mammogram in the last couple weeks and it was normal. I have breast implants (silicone).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. German replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer , these movable lump could be a cyst ( fluid filled sac , it could have other substances like protein material inside ).
Cysts can be removed surgically if they begin to produce symptoms. Other benign conditions that produce movable lumps are fibroadenomas ( which are benign breast masses) and lipomas ( with an accumulation of fat tissue ).
If your mammogram ,was normal ,there is no need to get worried.
In the future,you should continue having mammograms every 1-2 years to detect any cellular changes on time .
But all these conditions I mentioned before do not need treatment . In some cases, fibroadenomas are removed surgically.
Please click accept if you like the answer so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So since this is movable you are not concerned about something like cancer? What type of lump should be checked out by a doctor?
Hi, welcome to justanswer , usually when masses are moveable , in most cases,they are benign . if the mammogram was completely normal ,there is no need to get worried .
All type of lumps that You feel in that specific area must be checked to rule out the possibility of breast cancer.
That is what you did ,which was the right thing to do .
In your case ,there is nothing to be worried or concerned .
However , an important preventive measure is that all women over 40 years have a mammography every 1 -2 years to detect the development of new lumps or the development of any significant cellular changes on time .
Please click accept if you like the answer, so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
I disagree with the above expert
First of all it appears that you indicate that this mass is not in the breast...is that correct?
but rather on the rib cage.
Since you have silicone implants, the mass could be a siliconoma, which is where silicone migrates and forms a mass.
This is a possibility here.
A cyst would not be so elongated typically.
If you have a large concern, and MRI would be helpful in definitely ruling out breast cancer if this were in the breast.
Fine needle aspiration could define what this is...cyst, lipoma, or siliconoma.
Good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Would like a 3rd opinion. I had one doctor answer and another doctor disagree with her answer. I would like a 3rd doctor to review.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Negative mammogram fairly rules out a breast lesion. The region below the breast has ribs with muscles, vessels and nerves in between, overlying fat and skin. A movable lump makes me think of lesion arising from fat {lipoma} as my first bet. With you having silicon implants I would also like to rule out siliconoma. Malignant tumor looks less likely {generally will grow fast, generally not mobile and may be associated with symptoms like pain, loss of weight or appetite}.

If I were you I would get MRI for the region concerned to get a clue to diagnosis and above all for peace of mind.

Wish you well. God bless
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I see my family doctor, my OB doctor, or my plastic surgeon for this matter?

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I would start with my family doctor and then proceed to plastic surgeon if needed later.

Best
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.