Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Ive had explosive black watery diarrhea for 6 days. I assumed

I've had explosive black watery diarrhea for 6 days. I assumed it was from 2 glasses of cabernet the nite before, but I've had terrible cramps, bloating, lower GI pain after I eat all week. I'm lactose intol., but this is like teardrop to flood. (intensity). Also had severe back and neckache on day 2-3. After a lactose free latte this morning, it was 5 trips to bathroom with stomach pain, cramps and explosive diarrhea again. Its been 2 hours. I ache. Any ideas?
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This is severe diarrhoea and can cause dehydration. May be it was due to the bad or contaminated cabernet. Black discoloration can be due to altered blood which can be coming from the upper GI and this needs to be a cause for concern if this continues like this.
Diarrhoea is a protective mechanism which occurs when there is something irritating the gut and needs to be expelled out, uncontrolled diarrhoea can however, cause unwanted complications like dehydrations, electrolyte imbalances and muscle pains etc.
If there is a fever, the infective etiology is evident and this can demand antibiotics if not controlled in 24-48 hours with symptomatic or expectant treatment.
I would suggest that you keep yourself hydrated using not just water but oral rehydration agents like Gatorade or Pedialyte which will also replenish the lost stores of electrolytes.
Do not take anti diarrhoeals because they can prolong the course of the disease.
Rest is essential.
Shift to a low fiber diet to allow the gut to rest.
These include bread, rice, apple sauce, tea, bananas, refined cereals etc.
If the diarrhoea exceeds more than 10 episodes per day, if you have a fever, dizziness, lethargy, racing heart beat then you should visit the urgent care and seek treatment immediately.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.

Best.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
I would suggest a different approach than the approach suggested by the other expert.

Since you have had these symptoms for 6 days, and are experiencing other significant symptoms; back and neck pain - I would suggest being checked TODAY.

This is likely more than just a viral infection or "contaminated Cabernet" as the other expert suggested.