Experience:  dasdasd

I have a lump on my back near my shoulder blade. It is soft

I have a lump on my back near my shoulder blade. It is soft and moves. It was noticed a few months ago when I went for a massage. It is right above my bra strap so at time I get reminded that it is there. What can this be?

The Doctor thinks it could be a lipoma. My question is that he ordered a MRI. He said he wanted to see how deep it is? Does this make sense. I have a feeling that there might me another reason why he ordered MRI
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
How large is it? Does it seem to be above the muscles? Spongy, firm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its size of a quarter..on top of muscle..spongy. It moves so it seems like its right under skin.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
He didn't consider it to be a cyst, only a lipoma? He really didn't say why the MRI?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He said he didnt want to cut something out not knowing how deep it goes. He said sometimes Lipoma can go deep into muscle.
Is MRI standard practice?
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, neither a lipoma or a cyst goes into the muscle, and, even if they did, then they would be fixed and not mobile. I can't say the MRI is standard practice if the physical exam is consistent with a lipoma or a cyst, but he's just being on the safe side and perhaps his exam suggests that this is actually invading the muscle. I think this is very likely something benign like a lipoma or cyst, but if the MRI showed that it actually was a muscle tumor growing outward, that could be serious like a sarcoma.