DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health
9384716

Having experienced a heart attack last April..tightning of my throat

Having experienced a heart attack last April ,I have in the last two weeks changed one of my medications to Omeprazole and I have noticed a tightning of my throat. I thought this may be a side affect. I have over the last two weeks experienced a tightening of the throat. Today as I had a tightness of the throat , it felt like a crust forming at the back of the throat/ tongue. Having put my finger into my mouth and run it along the back of my tongue I can feel 4 lumps/spots. Three are bigger than the fourth, I feel the last one is growing. They are not painful but the throat becomes very dry and it makes me want to reach. Can you help to explain this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 3 years ago.

DrKnowsBest : This can definitely be the cause omeprazole can change ph In the Esophagus and this may cause dry mouth and change in the texture of the tongue from this
DrKnowsBest : For now try listerine swish and continue to stay well hydrated and you may want to discuss changing to another medication in the class if it contiues
DrKnowsBest : If no further questions please accept as we may then exit
Customer:

What would be an alternative drug ? I have just changed from Ranitidine?

DrKnowsBest : yes you can try another ppi like prescription protonix or OTC prilosec or prevacid even changing from generic to brand may help
DrKnowsBest : If not then may be stuck with side effects to help gastric symptmos
Customer:

Whar would be an alternative ? I have just changed from Ranitidine?

DrKnowsBest : See above
DrKnowsBest : Not sure if you got answer pantoprazole is another one any have the possibility to cause the side effects you have but can control the symptoms a change within the class is a better option than to change back to an h2 block like ranitidie
Customer:

What would be an alternative drug. I have just changed from Ranitidine?

DrKnowsBest : Are u getting my answers your same question foes through
DrKnowsBest : Try pantoprazole
DrKnowsBest : Any more questions
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.