Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My white blood cell count is 3.4 and my doctor said is was

Customer Question

My white blood cell count is 3.4 and my doctor said is was low three months ago too when I had my iron levels checked. She said she would send me to a doctor who specializes in blood if it is low again in three months. Is there anything to be concerned about with this level and is there anything that can bring it back up? I have read that Vitamin C, E, Copper, and Zinc can help. Would it help if I started taking a multi-vitamin? I know I haven't had enough of any of these vitamins in my current diet after I had gallbladder surgery. Could it be related to a slight defiency?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

The normal range for WBC count is 4,300 to 10,800 cells per cubic millimeter (cmm).
A low number of WBCs is called leukopenia. It may be due to any of these conditions-

-Bone marrow deficiency or failure
-Disease of the liver or spleen
-Collagen-vascular diseases
-Radiation therapy or exposure

You need to undergo clinical evaluation and blood tests from doctor for finding the right cause. Yes,you can start with multi-vitamin supplement, it can help in few cases.

Please make an appointment with doctor for management of this issue. Good luck and take care.

Let me know if you have more questions . Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work.
Your Positive feedback and BONUS are always welcome.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did have some blood work done at a hospital too and the doctor there went over all of the blood levels and he said the only thing low was my iron. This was between the two that I had done with my regular doctor. I have to go back next month to have my iron checked again. So the multi-vitamins can maybe help? It was fine before I had my gallbladder removed and I never have taken vitamins and I just started eating more fruits and vegetables since my surgery. I know I don't get enough zinc in my diet either. I'm really hoping its related to vitamins.
Yes low iron levels can cause decrease in WBC count. Taking multi-vitamin can help in making levels increase. Yes, you should get repeat test of WBC count by next month.

Yours sincerely
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay I didn't know that. I have started taking the one a day multi-vitamins with the minerals or whatever included. I know my iron has went from 10.2-11.6 the last time I had it checked but she didn't tell me if my wbc went up any. I know that my wbc was normal about 8 months ago but I don't know how long it takes for the count to drop.
Well, it may take 2-3 months to get changes in WBC count.
You should take multi-vitamin supplements, take healthy and well balanced diet, and get a repeat test of WBC count by next month.

Yours sincerely
Dr. Robert
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work.