Experience:  dasdasd

Is Cipro a good antibiotic for toothache

Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, if we're talking about a mouth infection, it might do the job, but Clindamycin might be a more appropriate antibiotic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can't see dentist until Tuesday. Only antibiotic I have on hand is Cipro. I know from past experience that my toothache is due to infection . Is there anything to be gained by taking the Cipro?
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
How old is the prescription and how much do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The prescription is current. Expires 1/2012. I have 12 tablets. 500 mg.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
OK, since the usual dose is one every twelve hours, you have enough for six days, which will last you until you can see the dentist. The usual course would be ten to fourteen days, so he can continue you with the Cipro or switch antibiotics if he feels that's more appropriate. Cipro is a broad spectrum antibiotic and it may be that the bacteria involved are sensitive to it. The only problem is that many mouth infections involve anaerobes--bacteria that are resistant to many of the antibiotics used for common infections like sinusitis, pharyngitis, and bronchitis. While I can't prescribe for you on line or tell you exactly what to do, the Cipro isn't a bad idea.