Experience:  dasdasd

Thickening of the thyroid--Is it a cause for alarm and must

Thickening of the thyroid--Is it a cause for alarm and must a doctor be consulted immediately?
Can you tell me exactly what's going on here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have acid refux which caused a cough which was finnaly brought under control with nexium and zantac.I went to the dentist and she said my thyroid was thick.
As in it's larger than normal and that's apparent on physical exam? What did your doctor say about this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't go to my doctor that's why I'm asking you.
Sorry--didn't realize it was the dentist. So did he say that by looking and maybe feeling the front of your neck he felt the thyroid was thick?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Feeling the front of my neck she said it was thick.
OK. Can you tell by looking at your neck it looks like a large lumb in front of your Adam's apple? When was the last time you had a physical by a doctor who looked at your neck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No lump--I had an ear, nose and throat doctor look down my throat several months ago. His diagnosis was laryngitis caused by GERD.
Well, somehow I don't see how this is a thyroid problem. For the thyroid to become enlarged throughout, as with a goiter or, less likely, thyroiditis or Grave's disease, that would take quite some time and it should have been apparent to the ENT. If your neck looks the same as always to you, then I don't know what the dentist meant. It's possible he may have felt a lump in your thyroid, so you should see your doctor--not as an emergency--to have him feel your throat.