Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

my blood pressure is all over the place 159 over 110 and just

my blood pressure is all over the place 159 over 110 and just now it was 125 over 72. i have ate a lot of seafood the last 4 days shrimp , scallops, sea clams and haddock. i have a build up of salt around my eyes also
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Do you normally have high blood pressure?
Do you take any medications?
Have you had any chest pain?
Shortness of breath?
Severe headaches?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My blood pressure is normaly 125 over 70.i am having headaches the last couple of days and am not on medications , i do not have any chest pains my pulse rate is usually in the low 70 tys. i do not take any medications except for a aspirin a day
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you.

I am sorry you are experiencing this sudden change in your blood pressure.
One thing that is important to do is to verify that your blood pressure cuff is working properly. If you are able to check your blood pressure with a second source (ie at your local pharmacy), that would be ideal to make sure that you are getting the same reading with both instruments.

Some people do have blood pressures that are salt sensitive. The current recommendation is to try to limit sodium intake to 2.3 grams per day (which is can be difficult).
Seafood itself is always high in sodium but if eaten in large amounts, the sodium does add up.

As you likely know, sodium leads to water retention, which causes puffiness around the eyes and swelling in the legs.

This should resolve if you watch your salt intake over the next few days.

As for your blood pressure, it seems that it is coming down.
Worrisome symptoms--if you develop numbness, tingling, chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, irregular heart rate. Go to the emergency room if these occur.

If your blood pressure readings are 170 to 180 top number or 120 bottom number go to the ER as well regardless of whether you have symptoms.

Avoid any anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or aleve. These can also increase your blood pressure.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!