Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

How long does an outbreak of excema normally last I have

How long does an outbreak of excema normally last? I have had three outbreaks since March. With Predisone and topical treatment I get relief for a few weeks and then there is another breakout. I followed drs. instructions and soak in Aveeno and moisturize my skin twice a day with Aveeno lotion.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Do you suffer from stress?
Have you noticed any factors which trigger the outbreak?
Have you seen Dermatologist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, have seen dermatologist that's how I got prescription -- usually see the physician assitant/nurse practitioner. I had used some baby lotion on my back because it was dry and this seemed to trigger the first outbreak. Meds from the dr. healed this and they suggested I use Eucerin lotion to keep skin moisturized. I used this for a few weeks and noticed I breaking out again - on back, arm, and chest (everywhere I used the lotion). I discontinued use and compared ingredients in the baby lotion and Eucering 5 out of 7 were the same. Went back to Aveeno and got some relief but got another prescription from the Dr. to heal it.

I'm on my 3rd prescrip and it seems to be healing, Just haven't gotten a satisfactory answer and to whether this could be a chronic condition. Had same problem when I was in my teens and early twenties - then it seemed to be triggered by warmer weather. This year I noticed that usually in the spring I get a cough due to allergy -- this year I didn't get the cough but instead the rash.

Someone told me that lymphoma rash is sometimes mistaken for excema and dermatitis. Is this true? I had a complete blood workup at the same time and the first outbreak and everything was normal and I have no other symptoms.

I take OTC allergy medicine per drs. instruction and it relieves the itch.

Well, thanks for providing detailed information.
The American Academy of Dermatology says that it may take a combination of therapies plus health-conscious lifestyle choices to avoid flare-ups of Chronic Eczema.

You should be given immunomodulators drugs like- tacrolimus (Protopic) and pimecrolimus (Elidel). These drugs affect the immune system and may help to maintain normal skin texture and reduce flares of atopic dermatitis (eczema).
Also Phototherapy using a synthetic UVA/UVB light box may also be used under a doctor's supervision.
In your case, you have no symptoms for lymphoma rash, symptoms of this disease are- Recurring Fevers, chest pain, night sweats, Sore lymph nodes, rashes. You should not worry for lymphoma rash.

You are suffering from Chronic Atopic dermatitis (eczema) or called Chronic eczema.
You can use few tips to avoid re-occurrence of these outbreak.
You should Avoid Scratching, You should reduce stress. Increased stress levels can cause eczema outbreaks.
You should Dress in lightweight, loose-fitting clothing. Cotton fabric is best for your condition. You should keep your skin moisturized.
You should avoid Irritants like- tobacco smoke, chemicals, weather (hot and humid or cold and dry conditions) and air conditioning or overheating.

Hope this helped.

Let me know if you have more questions . Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work.
Your Positive feedback and BONUS are always welcome

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician