Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

I have noticed a white film on my tongue and I;m not sure what

Customer Question

I have noticed a white film on my tongue and I;m not sure what it is? It's not white tongue I don't believe but I am a bit nervous as to what the causes or if it can be serious sign? If I take a photo and email it, could you make a decision? I recently went to my doctor, I did not ask him about it , but when he checked my mouth, he did not say anything.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 2 years ago.
A white coating that won't rub off? Any pain with this? How long has it been there? You can try posting a photo on this page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a web-cam photo, it's just made me nervous

I understand--either post it here or give me a non email link where I can look at it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
OK--a little paleness in the center. Did that just suddenly pop up and did your doctor have an comments about it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he did not, I had an appointment with him this past monday. He examined my tonsils, but didn't mention anything about the tongue. I failed to ask him about it and I don't know why I didn't say anything. I mean, maybe I've always had it i don't know, I just worried.
Can you rub off the white part you're referring to or is it actually not a coatintg and the tongue itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Some times when I brush my teeth and tongue, the front of the tongue seems fine, however the back has a little bit of the coating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could this be a concern and would my doctor have pointed this out if there was a problem?
BotXXXXX XXXXXne? I don't think this is anything for you to worry about, and some of the problem may be that, now that you're worried, it seems like there's something abnormal to you here. Your tongue looks fine to me and, like your doctor, if I had been examining your throat and mouth routinely, I wouldn't have though there was anything wrong here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thank you. I mean, was the picture clear enough for you to make a decision? I couldn't show you a picture of the back of my tongue, where the two nodes or dots are, whatever they are, is where I can't seem to get that "film" off.

I started researching it and it came to many minor happenings to some diseases that scared the hell out of me.

The pictures were fine, but to finish, what did you see in your research that scare the bejeesus out of you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One google search mentioned HIV, which my heart almost went to my throat it felt like.
That's the problem, if you're not a doctor, in Googling your own symptoms. You don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. That's referring to thrush--a yeast infection that can be seen in immune compromised patients like those with AIDS. What you have doesn't look anything like thrush, so I wouldn't worry.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so your saying I shouldn't have anything to worry about? I mean, I just don't understand if that is normal or anything. I've asked my mom if anything seemed different or out of the ordinary back there and she said not really. I hate to sound like a hypochondriac, which I have been feeling like lately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so your saying I shouldn't have anything to worry about? I mean, I just don't understand if that is normal or anything. I've asked my mom if anything seemed different or out of the ordinary back there and she said not really. I hate to sound like a hypochondriac, which I have been feeling like lately. Edit
That kind of question is too broad and fraught with possible errors in an answer. What I said is "I" wouldn't worry about it if this were me. All I can say to you is, let your own doctor tell you you have nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but what your saying is there is no thrust? Now i;m starting to get a bit nervous?
Certainly doesn't look like thrush, and thrush usually is accompanied by an uncomfortable burning pain. Even if it were thrush, that wouldn't automatically mean someone had HIV, any more than getting athlete's foot or jock rash would.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent another photo. Is there any way you can give me some strong advice for some sort of comfort or piece of mind? I don't want to seem like a loonatic going back to my doctor again.
If my telling you this doesn't look like or sound like thrush can't quell your worries, there's no more I can do. Seriously--I think you're getting much to anxious about this. Just ask your doctor to take a look and see if he thinks it's thrush--you don't have to rush into his office and say, "Oh, my God, I think I have AIDS!"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seriously, that did not help me for any piece of mind one bit. Can a dentist determine it officially? What does thrust look like??
Well, what do you want me to tell you--that it can't possibly be thrush? I just can't and shouldn't do that on line. Let me ask you this--have you had any recent blood work that included a white blood cell count and, if so, was it normal? Also I assume you've had unprotected sex in your life and that's why you worry about HIV? If so, I assume you know that they only way to make sure you aren't HIV positive is with a blood test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, is the picture even accurate enough for you to think it isnt that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, answer this question and I'll leave it at that.

1. Is the picture accurate enough for you to think it isn't thrush?

2. can a dentist make this determination of the tongue?

3. What do you reccomend I should do, even though I just seen my doctor and did not say anything that was out of the ordinary.

I'm sorry if I'm ticking you off for some reason, I don't mean to. I just get nervous with anxiety about certain things.

No--you didn't tick me off at all, just my frustration at not being able to assure you and calm you down. But, seriously here--if your worry is HIV, do you think a dentist or a doctor looking at your tongue and saying exactly what I've said to you is going to suddenly stop all your fears?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I send you a better picture through my phone and then give me some advice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Your pictures are fine, and I don't think it's thrush--another picture wouldn't likely change my opinion. But what about what I said above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was the image i wanted to send. But what you're saying is, even though they've said nothing, I should continue to worry?
OK--considering the last photo--look up images of leukoplakia of the oral cavity and come back here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I did that. How does that relate to my problem? I do not chew tobacco.
No, but the last photo looks a little like leukoplakia, don't you think?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How could I have gotten leukoplakia if I don't chew tobacco or smoke cigarettes? Is there another way?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have a picture on my phone thats really good, however I can't seem to upload it to my computer.
Not saying that's what it is, and you can get it without using tobacco products. We're limited here with trying to diagnose from internet photos, so I don't think it would be advantageous to do that any more. What I'm saying, again, is only by having a doctor or dentist look at your tongue can a real, solid, medical opinion be made about whether there's anything there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmm...how can you get leukoplakia of the tongue then without the use of those products?

Most often it's seen in patients who smoke, chew tobacco, or use dip, but sometimes there is no cause found. And I'm not saying you have it--just that the last photo looked a bit like it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know this is very private, but can i forward you a better and more accurate picture via cellphone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand, I don't think it looks anything like this. Again, would my doctor or dentist have immediately noticed this?

I would assume both of them do look at the tonngue with any examination and are well experienced in recognizing something abnormal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you be able to take a look through via cell phone, if that is allowed? It is a much higher quality photo over the web cam?
Not allowed, but seriously--even if this were on high definition multipixel TV, I would never tell you I know exactly what it is or isn't--it just isn't right for me to be that definite since I'm not your doctor and I'm not seeing you in person. That said, it's obvious you're still worried dispite all I've done to try to calm you down. One last question, that you didn't answer--IF--IF--your doctor or dentist looked at this and said it's nothing to worry about, would you then stop worrying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I probably would. I just have real bad anxiety thinking the worst of everything. I just can't help that.
Does that carry over into your life beyond this page? Are you constantly this--forgive me--obsessed with your health or impending doom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Um, in a way yes. I never used to be like this but ever since back when I was 20 years old, 22 now, where I had a sign of testicular cancer, but negative came back, just a really bad groin pull, I have been extremely health concious. Some times every little thing, could even be minor some times, freaks me out. Sexual experience wise, I always have worn condoms and still do, but last year when 1 broke, that put me in a bad place emotionally and feared for the worst. Everything was ok, but some times that makes me extremely nervous.
Everything was OK because you got tested or because she didn't get pregnant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tested. Sometimes I hate talking about this because it brings up bad memories and terrible thoughts come through my head.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it anxiety that can help me feel these symptoms? I know it's not good to feel like this 90% of the time. Honestly, in some points, getting someone pregnant is not the worst thing in that situation.
Very true about the unwanted pregnancy. So here's the skinny--you had possible exposure a year ago, tested negative, and now, much later than it should happen, something's come up that makes you suspect it's an early sign of HIV. That should be enough for most people to put to rest the idea that they've become HIV positive. Have you ever considered getting professional counseling about these obsessive thought patterns?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't really have the money for things like that. I mean, i'm always careful, that 1 time was just extremely bad luck. It's not like i'm an idiot towards sex education.

No--I meant about the anxiety and maybe the obsessive/complulsive disorder that you somewhat displayed here with me (no offense, just an observation). It seems pointed at health issues, but it really is a more diffuse problem for most. Not that you can't live with it, but later on, when you can afford it, a good clinical psychologist might be very helpful to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, but I mean is it bad that any girl i come to encounter sexually with, after I think the worst of them? I mean, I haven't been extremely sexually active ever since I broke up with my girl firend 2 years ago, just a few sexual encounters here and there and afterwords, I just sometimes get very paranoid. I just graduated college and feel like I should be starting my life, not worrying about terrible things happening to me.

Also, is that expensive , a good clinical psychologist?

Not sure what you meant with that first sentence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any Girl I have a sexual encounter with, or think of having, is it bad I think the worst of them after it happens? I mean, I haven't been extremely sexually active ever since I broke up with my girl firend 2 years ago, just a few sexual encounters here and there and afterwords, I just sometimes get very paranoid. I just graduated college and feel like I should be starting my life, not worrying about terrible things happening to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here are two very clear photos. Any advice?

What is it you think about the girl afterwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you look at the new photos? And i don't know, if she's clean or not, even though I've worn protection. It's just an anxiety matter ever since that unlucky "break" I had last year that I'm still trying to work through.
Saw them--looking more and more like normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. Also, the pschological help, if ever needed, the one you were talking about, is it expensive ?
Well, expensive is a broad term, but usually it starts at about $50 a session.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For 1 session is not bad, but I take it that it might take more than 1? Also, where do you find these?
Should be at least weekly for a few months. Look up clinical psychologists--one with a PhD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is it sometimes I get this white coating then in my mouth, if that's what it is or maybe I am just seeing it? I mean, after I brush my teeth it feels and looks ok, but last night, I looked in the mirror and it seemed like there was a white coating. Could it be a build up of saliva and such. ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

- Is that normal, or look normal?

If it comes and goes, and if it brushes off, then it's just debris buildup overnight.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the picture I sent you look fine, the one I just sent you? Sometimes it builds up after I brush my teeth. Could it be anything I am consuming? I drink a chalky nitric oxide supplement as a pre-workout before I workout that is a whitish/yelllowish color. Could that be a problem?
Let's put it this way--anything not actually involving the tissue of the tongue should be easily removed by scrubbing the tongue. And your last picture looked like a normal tongue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright. Thank you. Sorry for any inconvienances. I just felt extremely better the past few days and I don't know why I keep occassionally freaking out about things. I have a dentist appointment next monday, maybe that will give me more of a peace of mind and nothing to be worried about.
No inconvenience--that's my job here. Let me know what the dentist has to say.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. I hate to bother you again about something but when I went to my doctors last week I informed him about an irritation at the tip of the penis. He examined me and said that it looked a little chaefed (correct spelling?). Any ways, he asked me about any sexual encountters and I explained to him I had 1 back in July but I used protection and I was pretty sure there were no breaks in the condom and usually breaks are quite noticable. He gave me a hydrocortisone cream 1% to apply 2 xs a day and I've been doing that for a week now and haven't seen any improvement. It especially gets irriated when it becomes erect and I'm wondering how long I should wait before calling my doctor again.
Is this in the urethra or on the glans?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hm, I honestly can't tell. It does not hurt or burn when i urinate and the top seems a little red but nothing that looks disgusting or totally different. My doctor did examine it and he mentioned it looked a bit chaefed because I work out alot so maybe it could be irrated due to sweat. At first I thought it was an STD, but there was drainage or discharge or anything out of the ordinary. He examined it and didn't mention that it was nor did he test me for 1. I do take a nitric oxide pre-workout before I go to the gym and maybe that could be causing this or a urinary tract infection?
No, that wouldn't cause this. If you're doctor wasn't concerned about it, why are you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just that it's still irritated and I never really experienced something like that before. How long could it take for a chaef to clear up? It's been a few weeks or so.

Is this something you can see just by looking at the penis, or is this something just inside the urethral opening that you have to pull the edges apart to see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmm, I'm not sure how you can tell. I mean, the tip looks a little red, but nothing out of the usual or how it's looked before. It's just it feels irritated. I don't mean to get to personel, but when it is erect or during masterbation, it sometimes feels uncomfortable? I explained to my doctor this and he said if it gets worse or you see something out of the ordinary to call him. He told me I'd know if there was a discharge, and he said there wasn't.

I read somewhere that kidney infections can cause this? I mean, what can cause a kidney infection or Urinary tract infection?

There you go again--and, don't take this the wrong way, but you shouldn't be Googling or researching medical things relating to yourself because you and I both know you have an anxiety and a bit of an obsessive/compulsive nature. I don't think this is anything to worry about, but the way to check it out would be with a urine culture and a urethral swab. If those are negative, we're not dealing with any infection--STD or otherwise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright thanks again. Sorry for any inconvienance. Is there any advice on to how to avoid thinking about it? I mean, the gym for me takes stress off and hanging out in a crowd. It's ok to keep you updated about the tongue situation?
If I considered you an inconvenience, I wouldn't bother to spend so much time with you. I know it's hard when you're worried about health issues, but at least you should listen to a doctor you trust and go by what he says when he says this is nothing serious or nothing to worry about. There's a system called Rational Emotive Therapy--if you can't see a counselor yet, get a book about that. It's geared to training you how to recognize negative thoughts and work through the fear logically. You're more than welcome to call on me anytime about any of this or something new--if it's new (just joking, so smile) I'll just assume you've read about some other medical problem and think you have it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I think it's after I read something I have, I immediately think the worst. I just can't help it, it's who I am, and I don't know if I'll ever change.
No one can change until three things happen--1) They recognize they have a problem 2) They come to realize they can't fix it on their own, and 3) They become willing to ask for and get help for it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hate to bother you again, but when I woke up this morning and after I went to the bathroom about a half hour ago, it seems that I am still experiencing an uncomfortable feeling at the tip of my penis. I didn't really experience this and yet there still is no discharge.

If it were an STD like chlamydia, my doctor said it would be a noticable discharge where it'd turn a greenish/yellowish color with a thick puss? (correct spelling)? And it would leave an odor as well. This hasn't occurred, the discharge and now it seems like I'm having nightmares of that encounter and questioning whether or not there was a break or leakage in the condom. I mean, I've talked to my recent sexual partner and she swears she's clean. I'm just 2nd guessing everything right now.

Actually there can be urethritis--no discharge--in some cases of STD's. I think you're clean, but, again, with the way you worry, why not just be cultured, found negative, and be done with it all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is urethritis?
Inflammation of the end of the ureter, usually causing burning on urination. Most often from an infection but not necessarily from an STD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What could cause this urithitis besides it being chlamydia? I'll be scared if I wore protection again and still put myself at risk for an STD.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I mean there is no discharge at all, but it's still red at the tip.
You know, I thought twice about how I phrased the last answer, because I somehow knew it would kick up another "Why" question. Again--smile at this one--a five year old can ask a question and, no matter how good the answer, he'll often come back with "Why?' and the conversation never ends. Chlamydia can cause this, as could trichomonas. Condoms are nearly 100% effective against STD's of any type, but one can never say always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is trichomonas?
Another STD bacterium
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hm. Ok. How could this have happened if I wore protection? I mean, I even grilled my partner and she claimed she was clean several times, and even wore protection. That is why my doctor didn't give me a urine test or culture.

Also, I read that urethitis can be caused by manual manipulation, could that be from masturbation? Please help

Trying, but you don't seem to be listening. I don't think you have an STD but a culture would confirm that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, because I just looked up trichomis and got extremely scared. Probably not the thing I should be doing with anxiety problems. This is what I looked up.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/trichomonas/stdfact-trichomoniasis.htm

You really shouldn't do any more research. Trich and Chlamydia are very easily completely cured with antibiotics--nothing scary about them at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why do I feel scared then?
You tell me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. I mean my doctor just called me back and prescribed a cream, so should I not worry then?
What kind of cream?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know I have yet to pick it up yet.
Why did he order it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not really sure, because I explained him what was going on, and I guess he didn't feel the need to see me? I'm picking it up now.
Tell me what it is when you get it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream
That would normally be for balanitis--a yeast infection, but not an STD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does a male get a yeast infection?
Not like a woman--more like the same thing as a baby's diaper rash, athlete's foot, or jock itch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Geez, had no idea that was possible. Were some of the things I told you the signs of that? Redness around the tip of the penis, irritated, plus I work out a lot, about 5-6 days a week. Yes, I am a health freak.
Exactly like that, yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could I have picked it up from a female as well? Especially on the tongue although when I brush my teeth and tongue, it seems normal.

Not with a condom on, no.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the tongue? Although the pictures I've sent you don't look like a yeast infection do they?
No they don't and let's stay away from the tongue issue--we've discussed that to the point of exhaustion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, but a dentist would be able to determine that?

Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can sugary products, such as a white/yellowish chalky pre-workout substances that I mix with water cause it to look white sometimes? It's just some times I feel like my tongue is dry and idont know if its just mind games?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Worried about the back part of my tongue

I think it is mind games in your case. Any substance causing a white tongue should be easily brushed off. But, then, I don't think there's anything wrong with your tongue. Tell you what--this page is getting much too long. Consider accepting again for all the time I've spent with you, and let's close this page. If you have more questions regarding something we haven't talked about, just retype on a new page asking for me, and I'll be glad to take it from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will accept thanks. How about the most recent picture I've showed you, if the part I'm describing looks ok. I mean, dentist and doctor never said anything, i just get concerned for my safety before having to call them.
Looks fine to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
An infection would be throughout the tongue? I don't understand why I'm feeling this weay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing I should concern about complaining to my doctor then?
Exactly
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I accepted. I shouldn't contact my doctor then? Or be alarmed by it.?
As long as a doctor looks at it, then it should be fine. I can't tell you not to do that on line--just not ethical or professional. Hope to hear from you again sometime, so long as it's an entirely different question.