Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  30 years experience as doctor
8227957

I just noticed a lump in the front side of my throat it moves

I just noticed a lump in the front side of my throat it moves it makes a crackle or crunching noise when you squeeze it from both sides what is it? I am a bit overweight and thought it was just excess fat (ie: my double chin) but when I started playing with it, I can move it from side to side and it makes a cracking/crunching noise when I push on both sides at once. I am just getting over an eye infection and am wondering if it could be related, swollen glands maybe or something more serious?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.

What is the size, color, consistency?

Do you have any pain?

Is it increasing in size?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for such a quick response, it is not visible from the outside, I can move it slightly from side to side and it's about the size of a large marble, I have no pain at all, but when I move it from side to side it makes crunching/crackling noises. Its right above the area where a man's adam's apple would be (I am a female however). I was just jiggling my neck fat, wondering how I was going to get rid of the neck fat while I try to lose weight and happened to notice it while I was doing my jiggling.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
Is it soft or hard?

Is it just above the adam's apple or more towards chin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It feels hard (like a bouncy ball) and it's near where the chin and my neck meet but a little bit lower on my neck than where they actually join together. So I would have to say more towards my chin (as I don't have an adams apple, but I was basing that on where my husbands adam apple is located which seems to be much lower on the neck)
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

From analyzing your symptoms, it can be a lymph node.

Lymph node can be enlarged if there is an infection/inflammation in its draining area or from other conditions.

Other possibility is a cyst, lipoma etc.

A physical examination by doctor is necessary here.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a current conjunctivitis eye infection (on antibiotic eye meds for 5 days now), and it has made the node on the side of my neck (which hasn't gone away in 5 months when it first appeared due to a infected ruptured ovarian cyst) a bit larger and slightly painful, so do you think this could be related as well? I'm seeing a general surgeon on Friday to do a consult regarding my swollen lymph node on the side of my neck, would it be appropriate to mention this at that time, or should I schedule an appointment with my primary doctor to address this specifically? I'm quite overwhelmed, I was also diagnosed with bilateral ovarian cysts about 5 months ago (which we found out when one of them ruptured and got infected) and so I have a follow up ultrasound for that next week, it seems like I'm just falling apart. Is it possible all of this can be related? I thought lymph nodes were only on the sides of the neck and not in the front... I'm scared to death that it could be throat cancer.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
Infection is common cause.

But cancer needs to be ruled out.

Yes, you can mention it to the surgeon during biopsy.

He can then advise regarding further plan/ tests.
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 30 years experience as doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for being so thorough and patient with me throughout this process. I truly appreciate your time and informativeness. Have a wonderful evening!