Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I bumped my elbow and now have a large knot on it. There is

I bumped my elbow and now have a large knot on it. There is no pain. Could this be serious enough for an emergency room visit? The knot looks really bad.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Is the knot over the tip of the elbow?
Does it feel soft? Possibly fluid filled?
When did you injure the elbow?

dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The knot is over the tip of the elbow, looks like a bone sticking out. It is not hard like a bone but is very firm and can be moved a little without feeling it.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

Because it is not painful and because you can move the arm and hand without any difficulty, it is unlikely that you have a fracture of the elbow.
What you may have is a swollen olecranon bursa. The olecranon bursa is a fluid filled sac that helps the elbow move fluidly.
When trauma to the elbow occurs, this can cause the bursa to become inflamed and produce excess fluid and/or become filled with blood.

I do not think you need to go to the emergency room given the lack of pain or restricted movement.
This can be evaluated by your regular doctor in the morning.
If this is an enlarged bursa, the treatment is ice, antiinflammatories such as aleve or ibuprofen, elevation of the arm and, if the fluid persists, removal with a needle.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!