Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.

My wifes breath smells like black Licorice anise alcohol,

My wife's breath smells like black Licorice anise alcohol, but she has had nothing to drink or eat other than some noodles and ice tea yesterday. The odor is over powering, and this is the second time in three weeks that this has happened. Our 4 year old son says Mommy you smell funny. What is wrong with her? As she really does not drink either? And she took no medicine.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 2 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello

Dr Jones :

Welcome to justanswer.

Customer:

Hello

Dr Jones :

Any past history of diabetes or related issues?

Customer:

Her mother has

Dr Jones :

Any sinus or dental issues?

Dr Jones :

Is smell fruity kind of?

Customer:

no dental or sinus issues for her

Dr Jones :

Was blood sugar level checked recently?

Customer:

Very, very, strong....anise smell or absmith alcohol odor

Customer:

it will open up your sninuses when you smell her breath from nose or mouth

Customer:

The last time she was border line on the blood sugar but ok

Dr Jones :

When was that?

Customer:

two weeks back it was so strong...that she did not go to work for fear someone would think that she was drinking

Customer:

two weeks ago Aug 15, 16, 17

Customer:

And now again...

Customer:

she has never had this problem before

Dr Jones :

I meant when was sugar levels tested.

Customer:

Hmm...abt two months back during her annual physical

Dr Jones :

Are there any other symptoms or medical issues?

Customer:

Her thyroid was killed by radation 2 years ago and she takes a pill a day to compensate for a non functional thyroid

Customer:

and she keeps having hmm...lesions in the vaginal area and itching on and off plus frequent bruises on her inner thighs that she can not explain

Customer:

she has taken stuff for yeast infections etc....

Customer:

but it really according to her Dr was only a mild infection at the time

Customer:

but it never seemed to help her

Customer:

the medicine for that

Customer:

her symptoms come and go

Customer:

but always appear during the work week

Customer:

she will come home this way

Dr Jones :

Generally yeast infection are common in diabetics and immunocompromised individuals.

Customer:

but the smell odor has only come up on the weekend in the evening

Customer:

I have asked to seeher tests results lately

Customer:

but she says that they no longer do some testes for Herpes etc as she said her Dr says that Herpes has crossed the line and it is hard to tell and

Dr Jones :

What kind of yeast infection is it? which body part is involved?

Customer:

everyone has it now

Customer:

vaginal only....but very litte discharge if you look inside

Customer:

she did not even know

Customer:

until her Dr performed a pelvic exam

Dr Jones :

Ok.

Customer:

So, why is this happening?

Customer:

Diabetes or HIV or something?

Dr Jones :

From the details I guess she should be tested for ketones.

Customer:

BTY, I do not have HIV and we have beeen together for 3 years

Customer:

ketones?

Dr Jones :

Ketones can be seen in diabetes and are one of the common cause of such odor.

Customer:

OH

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So, that could explain her vaginal problems, the bruising and the odor?

Dr Jones :

Ketoacidosis is one of the complication of diabetes.I think that is the first possibility which needs to be ruled out.

Customer:

Ok, anything else?

Dr Jones :

Yes, diabetics are prone for yeast infection.And commonly they may not respond to routine treatments.

Dr Jones :

I guess she should consider a clinical evaluation and get primary investigations done.

Customer:

Alright, thank you very much!

Dr Jones :

You're welcome.

Dr Jones :

If you found my answer helpful please ACCEPT it so that I get credit for my time.

Thank you.Regards.

A positive feedback would be great.

Customer:

I am ...thanks again! You were great!

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.