Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a sore in my nose that comes and goes

I have had a sore in my nose, that comes and goes several times a year. This has been on going for several years..... what could it be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello!
A sore in the nose could be due to a staph infection. This is a common area for this bacteria to colonize and it may on occasion lead to an infection and erosion (sore)

I would recommend that you treat with neosporin for starters. If it does not clear in a few days then you may want to see your doctor for a stronger antibiotic.

JACUSTOMER-xhwfqqvc- :
OK, What about dabbing it with hydrogen peroxide? What class of antibiotics would treat it, I am allergic to the amoxicillians and penicillians

Anthony Bray MD :
Yes, we are typically colonized on the skin and nose with some staph bacteria.Staph (and some strep species) are the most common cause of skin infections such as boils. They are also common to cause nose erosion lesions and these may come and go over time..

I recommend using a Q-tip and placing either Hibiclens (available over the counter) or Neosporin ointment on the nasal area affected..

The hydrogen peroxide does kill bacteria BUT it also can kill living cells so it can delay healing with an ulcer (or open wound)

Hydrogen peroxide also would be more likely to hurt.

Neosporin nor Hibiclens are related to the penicillin family.

JACUSTOMER-xhwfqqvc- :
Is this bacteria contagious to my family? The sore is covered by a whitish film, ( looks like a boogie ) :) but if I blow my nose or itch my nose it falls off. Then the process begins over again.

Anthony Bray MD :

It can be contagious by contact. Frequent hand washing helps. Cleaning of counters with a chlorox solution may help. You can temporarily clear skin colonization of staph (and strep) by taking a bath with 2 inches of water with 1/2 cup chlox added to the water. Do this twice a week for 2 weeks and this may help.

Anthony Bray MD :
Eventually we are all colonized with these bacteria. Some subspecies may be more likely to lead to infections...

Also if the skin is compromised then this too leads to a more likely infection as the skin is our main layer of defense. The mucus membranes in the nose and mouth serve a similar function.

JACUSTOMER-xhwfqqvc- :
I always thought staph bacteria was resistant to medication?

Anthony Bray MD :
1/2 cup chlorox.

JACUSTOMER-xhwfqqvc- :
Many years ago I was told by and ENT this was a wart in my nose....... Your thoughts on that?

Anthony Bray MD :
You are thinking of MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus) This form of the bacteria may have multiple resistances to antibiotics but there are some antibiotics that this too will kill.

It does not sound like a wart. If you have recurrent erosion at the SAME spot then I would have this rechecked. That could be suspicious behavior if always the same spot. A squamous cell cancer for example might act that way with a recurrent erosion...

JACUSTOMER-xhwfqqvc- :
OK, I thank you for your time today. I will try some neosporin and call my Dr. And try not to panic that i may have nasal cancer.

Anthony Bray MD :
Well hopefully that is not the case. And early detection would be the key with a squamous cell which is usually successfully treated if it should turn out in that direction.

If you have further questions/information/discussion then let me know and i will be happy to get back with you.