Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor

How long can the severe pain of pleurisy last Would it be

How long can the severe pain of pleurisy last? Would it be uncommon if the severe pain was ongoing after two months? Is there a complication of pleurisy?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Pleurisy symptoms depend on the cause.

If it is a viral infection, then it can go away in 1-2 weeks too.

Persistent symptoms needs a reevaluation.

Malignancy, resistant infection etc need to be ruled out.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Apparently malignancy has been ruled out. The pain drops him to his knees. He had pneumonia twice before the pleurisy diagnosis, and leads an unusually healthy lifestyle (extreme fitness training; eats chicken, fish, fresh fruits and veggies, only organic food, no soda, no junk). As a caution, and because of the lengthy illness and apparently weakened immune system, the doctor did and HIV test. Negative result.

He had a diagphramatic hernia repair as a ten year old child. It went misdiagnosed for ten years, causing him severe pain on a daily basis that entire time.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
What cause was suspected for pleurisy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess they just ruled everything else out. The distinguishing characteristic was the severe pain. He went to emerg and the attending physician reviewed all of his record from his previous visits (re: pneumonia, subsequent increasing pain, and persisten shortness of breath). The severe pain was on the left side and went away. After a sneezing fit, the pain came back with a vengeance on the other side yesterday. He is always tired and short of breath (four months). Respirologist ruled out asthma. Doctor ruled out any masses. All I know is that my active, healthy son has lost 15 lbs. and is in so much pain. I have read that a diaphramatic hernia can lead to long term lung damage, and that the repair can also 'come undone'. Is any of this relevant?
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Diaphragmatic hernia or lung damage should cause pain at a particular & same side.

When the pain is shifting sides it can be due to a different cause.

Costochondritis, muscle strain, pinched nerves are also possible causes for pain but weight loss is unlikely.

However he should get a physical examination again & have tests.

When weight loss, tiredness, shortness of breath are present, he should take CT or MRI scan.