Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

I am a 26 year old female with a large os acetabuli in my left

I am a 26 year old female with a large os acetabuli in my left hip. I also have some tendonitis and bursitis in the mluteus medius, and bone marrow edema on the anterior acetabular rim near the os acetabuli. I am ready to get the bone peice removed and am wondering about the invasiveness of the surgery and recovery time. I have no labral tear.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 5 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Hi. Do you know about treatment for this type of abnormality?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it involves surgery

Customer:

What about the recovery?

Dr Brims :

It is invasive, cutting through muscle

Dr Brims :

The recover is about 6 weeks

Dr Brims :

recovery

Customer:

Would I be on crutches that long? My problem is that I'm a PhD student and I work full-time as well. But I don't want to wait too long because the bone has almost doubled in size in the last 6 months. Is it going to keep growing at the same rate or faster?

Dr Brims :

You will be on crutches for approx 2 weeks, and the bone is likely to keep growing at the same rate

Customer:

I was also diagnosed with arthritis in both knees when I was 20 or so. I have already had 3 bone spurs removed from my left knee and 1 large one from my right knee. Is there anything you can think of that would cause me to produce all this extra bone and any way I can stop it from happening more in the future?

Dr Brims :

It could be a metabolic disorder, but you would need blood tests to determine that, ie. calcium and phospate, parathyroid hormone etc

Customer:

Is the bursitis and tendonitis shown on my MR arthrogram probably due to the ossicle? So will it most likely go away when I get the surgery?

Dr Brims :

Both of them could be due to the ossicle, which could cause irritation in your tendon and bursa

Dr Brims :

They would likely go away if that was the cause

Customer:

The longer I wait to have the surgery, do my chances of causing more damage (labral tear, more edema, bursitis) increase?

Dr Brims :

Yes, the chances will increase

Customer:

Do you think that swimming could iritate the bursitis and tenditis even more?

Dr Brims :

swimming is unlikely to irritate it further

Dr Brims :

If it causes pain and irritation now, it will likely continue

Customer:

Is there a good resource online to find a good surgeon? All I have been able to find is that they are orthopedic surgeons but I want to know who works with hops specifically, and preferrably that they do arthroscopic surgery in hips. How do I find that?

Dr Brims :

do you have a teaching hospital close to you?

Customer:

Yes I do

Dr Brims :

Which one?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

I'm in Columbia SC, so I have the Univeristy of South Carolina School of Medicine access

Customer:

I'm also close the MUSC, the medical university of south carolina

Dr Brims :

I see, then you may go to their orthopaedic department, they will be in the best position to help you, and the appropriate doctor will see you

Customer:

Ok, I think that's all the questions I have. I appreciate your time.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic, or need clarification

If not please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session