Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My left foot and ankle swells up during the day and at night

My left foot and ankle swells up during the day and at night recovers about 90%. Is there anything I can do? I am over 80 but still active, play golf etc. Thank you.
David Boult
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you have any previous medical issues ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Swelling in only one foot ? or both ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any tests done ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Use reply button to send the reply.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Since when you have these symptoms ?

Customer:

1. No serious medical issues

Customer:

2. Only left foot

Customer:

3. Original test for DVT

Customer:

4. I have had symptoms for about 8 weeks

Dr S.A.Alam :

DVT was the diagnosis ?

Customer:

4 Ihave had sywelling for about 8 weeks

Dr S.A.Alam :

The tests for DVT were positive ?

Customer:

5.This was for swrlling on other foot

Dr S.A.Alam :

Can you please elaborate your problems in some detail. You had previous swelling in right leg? any tests were done ? if yes what came out DVT or not

Customer:

IThis was for other foot. I had Warfarin for 3 months

Dr S.A.Alam :

Now this swelling is on left side right ? and tests for DVT were positive ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

You were started on warfarin 8 weeks ago for DVT on left side ?

Customer:

I had a test and DVT was diagnosed. Then I was given a course of Warfarin for I think 3 months

Dr S.A.Alam :

And for this left side any tests were done ?

Customer:

This was a few months ago.

Customer:

No tests done for left side

Dr S.A.Alam :

So this swelling on the left side is new and no tests and diagnosis for this side ,right ?

Customer:

Yes

Dr S.A.Alam :

Ok, Thank you for details.

Dr S.A.Alam :

My first impression is that this is reducible swelling as this decreases when you lie down.

Dr S.A.Alam :

This swelling can be due to another DVT as you have previous history of DVT.

Dr S.A.Alam :

This swelling can only resolve if you solve the cause, like in this case doppler scan should be done to see whether there is some clot. Unless this clot is resolved swelling will not go away.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Other important thing to consider is that if you have shortness of breath on mild activity

Customer:

No shortness of breath

Dr S.A.Alam :

and you get short of breath at night while lying flat then this can be symptoms of heart failure.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Well, if you do not have shortness of breath then work up for DVT should be done. Resolution of possible clot in this leg will help to resolve this swelling.

Customer:

I do not think this is the case.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr S.A.Alam :

You should not take this lightly, these clots can be serious. Swelling in one leg is not normal by any means. I can tell you a lot of methods to resolve this swelling but you need to rule out DVT as this can be life threatening.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Your questions.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Your queries ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Here is a link you should visit.

Dr S.A.Alam :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deep-vein-thrombosis/DS01005/DSECTION=symptoms

Dr S.A.Alam :

All the symptoms may not be seen in all cases.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Another link

Dr S.A.Alam :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deep-vein-thrombosis/DS01005/DSECTION=complications

Dr S.A.Alam :

your questions ? queries ?

Customer:

I assumed The Warfarin Course had meant that DVT was not the course andmy GP did not suggest to me that I needed a further course of warfarin

Dr S.A.Alam :

Well, as you mentioned that warfarin was for the swelling in the right leg.

Dr S.A.Alam :

and this swelling in the left leg is new and not worked up yet.

Dr S.A.Alam :

So i would suggest you not to take this lightly as there are only few causes that can lead to such swelling, and in any case with your symptoms DVT should be ruled out.

Dr S.A.Alam :

As this can be pretty serious.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Your questions ?

Customer:

No I will see my GP again and ask if the left leg should now be tested

Dr S.A.Alam :

Warfarin is given for short courses if you have one episode of DVT while for more than one episode you may need more dose and duration.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You have more questions ?

Customer:

No thanks

Dr S.A.Alam :

Click ACCEPT if you have received your answer. You can always follow up on this chat any time for more information. Take care.

Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K