Experience:  dasdasd

I have red rash on my butt cheeks. Need help.

I have red rashes between my butt cheeks. They appeared suddenly after coming from a public pool and jacuzzi. It itches very badly, and have red bumps. They are very painful. What is a possible diagnosis and over the counter treatment?

How long has it been there and can you describe it exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Red rash, with small pimple like bumps. Limited to between buttock cheeks about 3 inches long. The rash appears a little less in the buttock area, but that area also feels slightly itchy. It's very itchy and slightly painful. I noticed itchiness for about 7 days now, but just inspected it and was surprised by extent of the rash. I noticed it this afternoon. Yesterday, I was in a public swimming pool and jacuzzi (something I usually do not do), and did not dry off right away as I was busy caring for my family. Perhaps the wetness irritated the area, or I caught a fungus from the jacuzzi, I sat against the jet with my back, but not buttock area.

Yes, just applied the creme 10 minutes ago, feels a little better. I'm concerned about transmission to my husband, and 11 months old, and a 3 year old, and/or needing to stay away from cooking etc. Is there any cause for concern?

OK. If this is a fungal infection and, in all likelihood it is, I'd suggest not using the cortisone cream because that could make it worse. The chlortrimazole, alternating with candula cream is a reasonable OTC mixture and it may take several days to work. Benadryl or Claritin can help with the itching. If it doesn't clear in several days you'd need prescription Ketoconazole cream. As for transmission, so long as you keep the area covered with clothing, wash your hands regularly, and try not to come in physical contact with others as much as possible, that shouldn't be a problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thank you. What is the possible cause of the fungal infection? Should I keep the area clean and dry, or put any baby powder on it? Are there any other things I can do to help it? How long before it goes away with OTC meds, before I should consult a doctor for Px meds?

Yeast, most often Candida, but sometimes Tinea as with ringworm. Obviously in immunocompromised patients and, for example women who get yeast vaginal infections after taking antibiotics, it's more likely to occur. But often there is no other reason. You were exposed to a heavy concentration of it, probably in the Jacuzzi. I'd apply a hypoallergenic powder about 15 minutes after the creams to keep the area dry. Yeast loves dark, warm, moist breeding grounds. If not significantly better in five days, see the doctor.