Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain

i spit blood only when i wake up from sleep even without c

i spit blood only when i wake up from sleep even without caughing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 2 years ago.
So this is in your saliva or is it that you cough it up? When you wake up normally in the morning, or is this suddenly waking up in the middle of the night? Other medical conditions/medications? Has your doctor had anything to say about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is in the saliva, and when ever i wake up even in middle of the night and in the morning when i spit it is bloody . i am not taking any medications
And none of your doctors has made any comment? Have you had a ct or MRI of the head?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, why?
Well, first off, have any of your doctors said exactly where they think the blood is coming from--I assume they have ruled out lungs and GI tract and sinuses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no one said exactly from were it is coming , no one ruled out the sinuses, but if it's from the sinuses why is it coming only after geting up from sleep?
Well, the sinuses, when they drain posteriorly, as in post nasal drip, get that drainage mixed in with the saliva. I'm not saying this is just a chronic sinusitis, but I'm saying that if this isn't from the lungs or GI tract, then about all that's left is the upper respiratory tract--the sinuses, the nasal passages, the adenoids, etc. You could also have a polyp in the area. I would suggest you see an ear, nose, and throat specialist for this, because the only areas left to evaluate are above the tonsils, so to speak.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i made the endoscopy the gastro said there are 2 ulcers in the stomach , is it possible that it is from those ulcers

if it is sinusitis why is it only when i get up from sleep

Were the ulcers bleeding, and how were they treated? Didn't you understand when I said that sinus drainage, especially when lying down, goes backwards into the back of the throat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the ulcers were not bleeding, the dr prescribed me aciphex for them

you didn't explain that when lying down blood from the sinuses go to the back of the throat

OK. Drainage from the sinuses is into the back of the nasal passages and then it can come out either through the nostrils or it can drain backwards into the back of the throat and then can either be swallowed or mixed with saliva and expectorated. It's possible that the ulcers could be the cause here, but more likely, as I said before, that the problem is in the upper airway. Obviously, when one is lying down, if there is drainage into the back of the nose, it can more easily run backwards into the throat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the first spit after geting up is only very lightly red, every spit after that is more bloody and more bloody , this goes on until i rinse out my mouth very good
And a thorough examination of your mouth, gums, throat, etc. hasn't revealed any abnormalities? After that, the saliva clears completely?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Then all I can say is the blood must be in the back of your throat, perhaps mixed with mucus and clinging to the pharynx, and, as you spit and salivate, it loosens and is expectorated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

examination didn't reveal anything

after rinsing out my mouth a few times everything is clear

OK--what more can I add? It would seem that the source of the blood has to be from the sinuses and/or nasal passages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what kind of treatments are availebale for this condition
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what information is needed
Well, that would depend on the diagnosis. If this is a chronic sinusities problem and antibiotics and saline nasal rinses aren't effective, sinus irrigation by an ENT or sinus surgery with debridement of the sinus mucosa may be necessary. I'd start with a ct of the sinuses and antibiotics first.
Anything more I can clear up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will make an appotment with an ENT
Let me know how that goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Take care--hope I made everything clear to you.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain