Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

how long does it take for symptoms of mrsa to show up

how long does it take for symptoms of mrsa to show up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

What was the type of potential exposure? Skin exposure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My grandson may have been touched on his hand by her hand.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last Saturday my 5 year old grandson and I went to see an elderly neighbor in a convalescent hsopital. She has lung cancer and an abdominal mass that is cancer as well. My grandson had a small cut on his finger. I am not sure that she touched him at all.

I have to ask him. Tonight when I went to the inpatient hospital she was transferred to on Saturday. /Her room was under quaranteed and I had to put on a gown and rubber gloves to go in her room. Afterward the nurse told me she has a mrsa infection in the urinary tract. My question is IF she touched my grandson and he got mrsa infection how long would it take for it to show up? We both washed our hands with hand sanitizer before and after seeing her. Should we worry about a transferance of the infection?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thank you.

The time can vary quite signficantly depending on how long the exposure was and whether the person who was exposed has any underlying broken skin or has a compromised immune system.

Just being touched does not mean that he will get the infection, as you may know. If the infection was in the urine, it is unlikely that he will get it through touch unless she had the bacteria on her finger and actually touched the open wound.

The average incubation period can range from one day to ten days up to years later (some people can become a carrier of the infection, meaning the bacteria lives on the skin but does not cause any problems unless they become ill/immunocompromised).

Over the next 14 days, keep an eye out for any pimple like area, redness or rash developing in the area he was touched. If this happens, have him checked out. Despite the fact that it is a resistant bacteria, we do have oral antibiotics that can treat the infection.

But again, the fact that it was in the urine makes the risk is lower than if it were a skin infection with regards XXXXX XXXXX

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States