Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

Pain In My Upper Stomach.

I have constant pain in my upper stomach with nausea, headache, fatigue. I have no fever but have chills and feel clammy at times. I am constipated and feel sick and weak all over. Any suggestions? Should I see my doctor or go to emergency room?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this pain? How severe is your abdomen pain in 1 to 10 scale? Is it a burning pain? Do you feel pain when you press in your upper abdomen? Is your abdomen pain radiating to your back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This started about five days ago and seems to be getting worse everyday. Mostly 'the feeling crappy' part. I have no gallbladder, that was removed three years ago. Pain is about a four I guess. It is constant and I also have gas and belching issues. I definitely feel I need to use the restroom but cannot. It is not a burning pain and not in my back. Does hurt more if I push on abdomen. Just feel really sick and weak with it.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Do you think you are not able to pass gas? Any abdominal distention or vomiting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do pass gas, more than usual. I also have stomach distension. No vomiting, but very nauseated. I am concerned because I feel so sick with this. Not myself at all!

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information. Based on your description, you seems to have constipation, nausea, abdomen distention, abdomen pain, along with headache, weakness, chills etc. Although it is possible to have abdomen pain, nausea, and abdomen fullness due to constipation, it is always important to rule out bowel obstruction if your symptoms are getting worse. Other than that there are many other potential causes for upper abdomen pain that needs to be ruled out such as pancreatitis, hepatitis, stomach acid related issues etc. Since your symptoms are getting worse gradually over 6 days, I strongly suggest you to see your doctor for proper evaluation. You can discuss all these possibilities with your doctor and have it evaluated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So nothing that I feel is life threatening? U read about crazy female heart attack symptoms, Ovarian cancer, etc....

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.

I don't think that you have heart attacks. Heart attacks present very differently and does not linger for five days. However, I do suggest you to see your doctor as your symptoms are getting worse and severe enough to seek medical attention.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does ovarian cancer present itself this way? I know that is an extreme probability
But just curious.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Symptoms related to ovarian cancers are not very specific since they present with vagues symptoms. As you have upper abdomen symptoms I don't think it is related to ovarian cancer because ovarian cancer related symptoms are mainly at the lower abdomen and pelvis. If you want to move further, you can request your doctor for ultrasound to rule out such possibility.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I am just very frustrated with how bad I feel. A few years back I went round and round with doctors before we finally removed my gallbladder. Was sick for a long time. I guess I get nervous that I have something again, similar to the gallbladder ordeal, that will go on and on before being diagnosed. It feels similar to that, but worse.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.

I can understand your frustration. However, without proper evaluation and investigation it is not possible to pin point a specific cause of your symptoms. Early diagnosis means early treatment and recovery. Your symptoms are recent, so I don't think it will be difficult to diagnose. Please consider visit to your doctor at the earliest.