Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Can an inguinal hernia cause your leg to swell

Can an inguinal hernia cause your leg to swell?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
no it should not
have you had an ultrasound of the leg?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had ultrasounds 3 years ago and an MRI to rule out possibilities of lymphoma or clots. There are no clots. Lymphoma has been ruled out although my platelets and leukocyte count are chronically low. I see an oncologist yearly for blood work. I have ultrasounds also to check my bladder as I am prone to bladder infections since my bladder does not empty fully. I have a club left foot which is the leg that swells which is about an inch shorter than my right leg. The only time in the last 3 years that I have had any improvement was going to the chiropractor after doing a hip adjustment. The swelling reduced significantly but the results did not last. The swelling started 3 years ago after doing the splits playing goalie in an old timer league. The next day I woke up with a swollen groin and swollen leg. That's when I went to the doctor and they started testing me for lymphoma. Could the bladder and leg symptoms be related through some obstruction of my para sympathetic nervous system supplying the leg and bladder. Also would going to a vascular specialist help? The last ultrasound I had (last week) was the first time they had me bear done to check for a hernia. The result came back positive but my doctor wants me to go for another ultrasound to confirm. I don't feel anything protruding in my groin area although I do feel like my groin is always tight or slightly low grade burning. My leg always feel turgid. As I mentioned before I had cellulitis in the same leg about 2 months ago and had to go to emergency. I was on an IV antibiotic for 10 days and then an oral antibiotic for another 10 days. Let me know if you have any further questions for clarification. Thanks.
No it is not the hernia
This is still circulation until proven other wise
The veins can be sluggish without clots.
A vascular doctor is perfect, and a venogram to see what is going on.

An osteopath might get longer lasting results than the chiropractor with osteopathic manipulation, but i would see the vascular doc as well.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc