Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

Unable to get a bowel movement to pass due to a hemorrhoid.

Customer Question

Unable to get a bowel movement to pass due to a hemorrhoid. Should I go to the ER or are there some over the counter products that can be used together to resolve the bowel movement issue and then allow me the time to treat the hemorrhoid?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 3 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello

Dr Jones :

Welcome to justanswer.

Dr Jones :

What are your current symptoms?

Dr Jones :

Is there bleeding and pain associated with bowel movements?

Customer:

I am not able to get the bowel movement to pass. No blood. Quite a bit of discomfort becasue it would seem to have no way to exit.

Dr Jones :

I guess you can give try to local anesthetics (Benzocaine 5% to 20% or Lidocaine 2% to 5%).This can help relieve discomfort caused by hemorrhoids and let you pass the stools. In addition use of oral laxatives/suppository ,enemas and stool softeners can be tried.

Customer:

Will laxatives soften the stool, or should I purchase a stool softener?

Dr Jones :

Laxatives act more by helping pass the stools but to make stools soft one will need stool softener.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if there are doubts.

Customer:

So I should take both? How quickly can I expect them to work?

Dr Jones :

Have you used any of them in past?

Customer:

Had a colonoscopy two months ago. The laxatives took several hours. So, I can expect probably the same, it would appear.

Dr Jones :

I guess then you can try suppository now along with stool softeners.

Customer:

OK. Any product suggestions?

Customer:

Hello?

Dr Jones :

Dulcolax suppository.

Customer:

And for the benzocaine/lidocaine medication?

Customer:

Anything that will shrink the tissue quickly?

Dr Jones :

You can directly ask of benzocaine/lidocaine creams

Dr Jones :

Vasoconstrictors (Ephedrine sulfate 0.1% to 1.25%), when applied to the anus, make the blood vessels become smaller, which may reduce swelling.

Customer:

Is that over-the counter?

Dr Jones :

You can check it at pharmacy near you.

Customer:

OK. It sounds like this might not be a serious as I feared. Thanks for your time.

Dr Jones :

You're welcome.

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.