Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Sometimes when I have a bowel movement I have stringy discharge

Sometimes when I have a bowel movement I have stringy discharge come out. What could this be?!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Is this discharge like mucus and flimsy?

Q. Do you suffer from constipation or hard stools?

Q. Any bleeding per rectum?

Q. Do you have itchy feeling in the perianal area?

Q. Any dragging feeling in the rectum?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is like mucus. It is whitish in color.

Sometimes I have hard stools.

No bleeding

No itching

No dragging feeling in rectum

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

This mucus discharge is present because of glands in the anus that secrete this mucus. It is exaggerated in some cases where the anus or the rectum is being irritated. People who have hard stools and constipation off and on or have bowel conditions like inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis can have mucus discharge per rectum which is noticeable.
You need to get this examined to rule out hemorrhoids which might be 1st degree in your case. You do not have any symptoms of Inflammatory bowel disease or IBS, or some of the other conditions that exaggerate the mucus production.
So, I suggest you go to your PCP and get done a rectal examination, digital and proctoscopy.
Mean while, increase the fiber in your diet, eat a lot of green leafy vegetables and fruits, dry fruits like walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts etc. Drink a lot of water to soften the stools, most of the times the mucus discharge will cease itself only on the dietary modification.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.