Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Doctor
Experience:  10 years of experience.

Why lymph node on the right side of my neck swells while eating?

Customer Question

My lymph node on the right side of my neck swells when I eat. After I have eaten, the swelling almost completely disappears. Any suggestions?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
How do you know this is a lymph node that is swelling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I really don't. It is under my right jaw line where my neck meets my jaw line. It is the same way on the left side , not swollen, same description.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.

It is highly unlikely that this is a lymph node, if this only occurs during eating. It's possible that you may have an out touching of your oesophagus called the diverticulum. Without being able to exam you, I can't determine what this is. I would recommend seeing your primary doctor for an examination and if they feel like this is a problem with your oesophagus, then they may need to refer you to a gastroenterologist for a swallowing study for an evaluation of your oesophagus. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.

Dr. Y., Doctor
Experience: 10 years of experience.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.

This is most likely a salivary gland.
Many people confuse them with nodes.
They normally swell during eating, then shrink again.
One can be extra large due to stone or infection.
The location is a sub-mandibular gland.
You don't need a GI doc, just your GP or an ENT doc if there is a stone to remove.
Good luck.

Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.

I agree with Dr. Thomas. Your oesophagus begins in the lower part of the neck and a diverticulum of the oesophagus is usually located in the posterior wall and does not cause any swelling in the anterior neck and certainly not in the jaw region.