Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Doctor
Experience:  10 years of experience.
32613003

My lymph node on the right side of my neck swells when I eat.

Customer Question

My lymph node on the right side of my neck swells when I eat. After I have eaten, the swelling almost completely dissappears. Any suggestions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
How do you know this is a lymph node that is swelling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I really don't. It is under my right jaw line where my neck meets my jaw line. It is the same way on the left side , not swollen, same description.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
It is highly unlikely that this is a lymph node if this only occurs during eating. It's possible that you may have an out touching of your esophagus call the diverticulum. Without being able to exam you, I can't determine what this is. I would recommend seeing your primary doctor for an examination and if they feel like this is a problem with your esophagus, then they may need to refer you to a gastroenterologist for a swallowing study for an evaluation of your esophagus. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Dr. Y., Doctor
Experience: 10 years of experience.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
I disagree
This is most likely a salivary gland
Many people confuse them with nodes
they normally swell during eating then shrink again
one can be extra large due to stone or infection
The location is a sub-mandibular gland
you don't need a gI doc, just your GP or an ENT doc if there is a stone to remove
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please click accept to give answer credit and compensation. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.
I agree with Dr. Thomas. Your esophagus begins in the lower part of the neck and a diverticulum of the esophagus is usually located in the posterior wall and does not cause any swelling in the anterior neck and certainly not in the jaw region.