Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have itching on the right side of my body (front and back)

I have itching on the right side of my body (front and back) that is worse early in the morning while I am still in bed. Any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Abid :

Hi there...

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me since how long you have itching?

Dr. Abid :

Any redness associated with itching?

Dr. Abid :

Do you have history of allergies?

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Customer:

I have had the itching for about 3 weeks now. I thought I saw/felt a few small bumps and at first thought it might be bites, but it is not bites.

Customer:

I have been allergic to eggs for some time, but have had no skin reactions.

Dr. Abid :

Any history of diabetes ,malabsorption or iron deficiency?

Customer:

I have not had diabetes, but it is in my family. No iron deficiency. What is malabsorption?

Dr. Abid :

Malabsorption mean poor absorption of food...

Customer:

No, don't that that.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks for info as you have history of itching for last three weeks and you have had no associated rash or as such allergic reactions you have no history of diabetes ,malabsorption or iron deficiency keeping all these facts in mind i want to tell you that common condition in the absence of other obvious factors is the dryness of skin that can present with itching other factors include dermatitis ,hives and scabies but the pattern of itching is not suggestive of scabies so Xerosis (dryness of skin) or dermatitis is highly likely i will suggest you to use

hydrocortisone cream, containing at least 1 percent hydrocortisone, can temporarily relieve the itch it is over the counter medication in addition to that you should use oral antihistamine Tab Cetreizine 10 mg once a day for 5 days you will get better.

Dr. Abid :

You can also use moisturizer cream at the area of itching that will moist the skin prevent dryness and help to relieve itch.

Dr. Abid :

Avoid products that can irritate your skin such as cosmetics.

Customer:

But why would I have itching JUST on one side of my body?

Dr. Abid :

Sometime conditions that involve one sided of nerve such as diabetes ,post herpes or one sided pinched nerve can present with one sided itching.

Dr. Abid :

As you have no diabetes ,herpes infection so even it is highly unlikely to be dryness of skin or dermatitis at one side but still it can happen.

Dr. Abid :

If after use of medicine as i mentioned you didnot get relief then you should get consultation from Dermatologist ,and check your blood complete picture,liver and kidney function.

Dr. Abid :

Regards,if you found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks and wishing you a good health.

Customer:

OK, I will try the cream and the Cetreizine and see if that works. Thanks.

Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS(R)