Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

My White Blood Cell count is 2.2, what does this indicate

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer...

Your white cell count is low, and this is known as "Leucopenia"...

This can occur as a result of many factors including drugs, infections, and cancers...

Since white cells combat infections, reduced white cell count may predispose you to acquire infections easily from environment, which are difficult to control as well...

You must see the hematologist at earliest for a detailed evaluation and tests including a bone marrow examination which will help to ascertain the exact underlying cause...

Treatment depends upon underlying cause...

He may give you some drugs (like colony stimulating factors) to transiently increase the white cell count while the specific treatment for underlying cause takes its full effect...

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anyother way to accertain what is going on with my white blood count, besides a bone marrow test?
I had a hysterectomy at 39, could the lack of hormones be an underlying cause?
I take vitamin supplements everyday, could any of the vitamins be the cause?
I read that a lack of Zinc in the body could have an effect on the white blood cells, is this true?
I take provastatin 20 mg for my cholesterol is that a factor?

Hello...

The most definitive and accurate way to find the cause of cytopenias (reduced cell counts in blood) is to have a detailed view of the factory where they are prepared...This factory is the bone marrow.

This is a routinely performed test, and does not have any major side effects, and in Most of the cases this is performed with out any complication.

A mineral deficiency, or a vitamin deficiency is likely to affect all the cell lines instead of a single cell line...

Pravastatin is unlikely cause for this...

The logical way to proceed further is the get this evaluated soon...This will help your doctor decide a definitive management strategy...

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities