Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

I have found a lump in the upper / inner thigh - groin

Customer Question

Hello, I have found a lump in the upper / inner thigh - groin area of my left leg. It is sensitive when I touch it. Also since last year I have had a lump on the right side of my throat which is paralelle to my adams apple.  Should I be concerned? There is a shortage of doctors where I live and would appreciate any help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.

So no doctor has looked at either of these? Tell me all you can about both lumps please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No one has seen the lumps at this time. I work for a local member of parliament in Canada and we are trying real hard to get doctors in this area. I'm also French and pardon me ahead of time if I have spelling mistakes.

The lump in my throat grew to the size of a small marble. In the past 2 months it has shrunk considerably although then found this lump in my groin. If I were to draw a line from the lump accross my lap, it's paralelle to my lower pubic bone and the widest part of my hips. It is located on the left side of my groin seam (if that makes sense).

Are these both movable? Are they soft, firm, or hard? How long has the groin lump been there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes both are movable, but the groin lump more so than the other. The throat lump is harder than the groin, although the throat is very round whereas the groin is more oval. I've only noticed the groin lump 2 weeks ago.

Well, the throat lump may be a lymph node or a cyst, and the groin lump could be a lymph node, a cyst, or a small lipoma which is a benign fatty tumor. Lymph node enlargement can be from prior infections, but it can also be a sign of lymphoma or another cancer. I can appreciate the lack of doctors, and neither of these may be anything to worry about, but all I can say is that when you can you do need to have a doctor look at these.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My sister is insisting I add that I have been suffering from spontaneous diariah - and that our mother has had colon cancer. Could there be a link?
Tell me about the diarrhea.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no specific trigger. The only warning I get is a small pinch in my belly and if I'm not close to a bathroom, there is nothing I can do to stop it. It's always yellow in color. Before relocating to the north I lived in the city and was followed by a endocronogist for Grave's Disease which was resolved; OBGYN because I became post-menopausal in 28 days when I was 34; and a dematogist because I have developed pustular psoriasis. I don't want to seem in rough shape but this is the body god gave me.

How often does this happen and is there any relation to anything you eat? Is the stool normal in consistency, loose, etc.?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In the last two months - 8-9 times. The stool is very watery with minimal digested food. If I don't take Imodium I could run to the bathroom 2-3 times. When I take the Imodium I'm fine.
OK. This wouldn't at all be related to the lumps but it, too, needs evaluation. The possibilities include irritable bowel syndrome, colitis or Crohn's disease, a malabsorption syndrome, or an infectious condition. You need at least a stool sample examined and tested and colonoscopy to get at a cause and treatment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've booked an appoitment with the local nurse practitioner. Thank you for confirming what I knew I had to do.
Welcome