Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

Hi, Why would my blood pressure increase while standing

Why would my blood pressure increase while standing? My understanding is it should be lower. As an example: My sitting bp is 115/81, pulse 59. My standing BP is 139/90 pulse 62.

I have complained of feeling lightheaded at times, especially after exercise and waking in the morning. I am wondering if there is something here that could be causing this.

Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 3 years ago.

Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer

Customer:

hi

Dr Wajid :

Well although the blood pressure that you mentioned on standing is higher than what you have while sitting, it is still within normal limits and you do not have hypertension...

Dr Wajid :

Let me explain

Dr Wajid :

Normally when you stand up, the blood tends to pool in the legs thus causing a drop in blood pressure... This drop in blood pressure is picked up by the baro receptors which in turn activate certain reflex mechanism to maintain the blood pressure within normal ranges

Customer:

Why is my blood pressure higher when i stand?

Dr Wajid :

You have an exaggerated response to the drop in blood pressure when you stand

Customer:

Is this common and could it be causing my dizziness?

Dr Wajid :

As a result the increase in heart rate and in peripheral resistance cause the high blood pressure on standing

Dr Wajid :

Yes it does cause dizziness and it is fairly common

Dr Wajid :

There is a common term known as Orthostatic Hypertension

Dr Wajid :

But since your blood pressure is within normal limits on standing I wouldn't say you have orthostatic hypertension

Dr Wajid :

But the rise in blood pressure in your case has a similar pathophysiology

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer:

So if i understand this correctly.

Customer:

When i am resting my bp is normal, but it is still ok at the standing range. If so, what is out of range?

Dr Wajid :

The normal ranges for blood pressure are as follows:

Dr Wajid :

Normal range: less than 120/80

Dr Wajid :

Pre Hypertension: 120-139/80-89

Dr Wajid :

Stage 1 hypertension: 140-159/90-99

Dr Wajid :

Stage 2 hypertension: more than 160/100

Customer:

So if i was walking, stopped and took my blood pressure and it was 140/92, this would be Stage 1 (question is based on walking and not at rest)/

Dr Wajid :

No that is a normal response to activity and exertion but however if it does not return to baseline after resting it is abnormal

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer:

Got it, i am asking because my doctor put me on a c-blocker because my standing bp was higher. I have never had high bp and thus I am concerned. One last question. This issue of being dizzy when waking and after running only started over the last year. Is there anything you can think of that could cause this?

Dr Wajid :

Yes you should get your heart assessed by a cardiologist...

Dr Wajid :

Get an EKG done, if that turns out to be normal ask your cardiologist to have your exercise done

Dr Wajid :

I meant exercise tolerance test

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer:

EKG, blood work, echo, holter monitor all came back good. I have a stress test Friday.

Customer:

Thanks for your advice.

Dr Wajid :

Well then Stress test would decide the cause of your symptoms

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)