911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

What is the general recovery prognosis for plica removal surgery I

What is the general recovery prognosis for plica removal surgery?
I had it done five days ago, and I am in great deal of pain?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

It's not possible to give you numbers about where YOU should be right now, but many peoe are back to near full activity in 2 to 3 weeks.

Following, precisely, your surgeons i struxtuons and TAKING YOU PAIN MEDICINE is important as it is much easier to keep pain at a tolerable level for the first week to ten days after the surgery by takin your medicines on a schedule than for waiting for it to hurt very badly and then take the medicine.

The vicodin, if it is the 5/325 variety will not have it's full effect unless you are taking 2 at a time so as to get the adult dose of tylenol (325 means mg of tylenol)...

At five days I am not surprised you are having quit a bit of pain. At ten days I think this amount of pain would warrant a visit to your surgeon, and, at any time, if the wounds become red or inflammed OR if you develop fever then you need to be seen right away.

If you don't have those worrisome symptoms list directly above then have some patience... You will get better... But it will take time.

Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had gone in to fix a meniscus tear only to find out after the fact that my meniscus was fine but that my plica was too large. In your experience, is it a good idea to remove the plica? I am feeling anxious because of the pain.

thank you!

-Sharon

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.
sharon, if you were having knee pain and it was to the point that they were going to do surgery to find that meniscal tear that they thought might be there on MRI but was not by arthroscopy then yes, i think removing the plica was the right thing to to...HOWEVER, if they did not explain to you prior to surgery that this might be a possiblity, if they did not consent you for the plica removal prior to the surgery, then they are in dangerous territory if you do not get better with what they did.

best
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would be ok with my ultimatley being the same before the surgery, but do you think, given the amount of pain I am in, that the surgery could make it worse?

Many thanks,

sharon

Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.
it's impossible to answer at five days. the inflammation from the surgery is only beginning to subside... way to early to make any quesses.... two weeks or three weeks out... that's when things become more clear.
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is now weeks later, almost a month after the surgery,and I am still in pain, albeit less. Turns out that my recovery was complicated by a post op infection that was treated by IV antibiotics.

Can you please tell me: Is it considered kosher, i.e. within the standard of care for a doctor to remove plica (without the patient's explicit consent) if he does an arthoscopy and finds nothing wrong with the meniscus. If you don't know the answer to this standard of care question, can you please refer me some other source who might?

Many thanks,

Sharon Goldman

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.
I do bot know the answer I am sorry... If you have been unable to find out from another surgeon OR have run out of options I would post this question here directed specifically to an orthopedic surgeon... I know we used to have one on the site... Dr sawhney?? I wish I could help you but I simply don't know.

Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there no orthopedic specialist on staff now to whom you can forward this question? I corresponded with someone on August 2nd, who seemed to be in the know. Please see his/her posting above. Is it possible to get in touch with that person?

Thank you!

Sharon

Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.
I sure will try... Forwarding to the moderator.
Best
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!