Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

What does a liver size of 17.6 cm mean?

I have a liver size of 17.6 cm. What does this mean?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer
The liver size that you have mentioned is on physical examination?

Customer:
I had an ultra sound after detecting ALT level of 68 & AST of 35.
Doctor diagnosed fatty liver ++
size 17.6 cm.

skindoctor2000:
The liver can become enlarged if there is inflammation of the liver cells ( known as hepatitis) and if not treated, it can turn to cirrhosis of the liver which is a disease that result in the death of the liver cells that turn to scar tissue inside the liver and block the blood flow and nourishment to the rest of the cells that are left and they may die also. It is a very serious disease that can lead to having to have a liver transplant in order to survive.

The normal liver size in males is 10 cm

Customer:
So 17.6 cm is very large?

skindoctor2000:
Yes it is. You will need to get a scan done to find out the details.
Liver function blood tests would need to be done.

Customer:
Scan of what?

skindoctor2000:
A scan of your liver.

Customer:
I have already done and the ALT is 68 and AST is 35.

skindoctor2000:
So they are high.
You will need to follow a few dietary restrictions, and avoid alcohol.

Customer:
Can hepatitis c or b cause such high sizes?

skindoctor2000:
Yes they can result in such large size but normally associated with a lot of pain.

Customer:
Also I have had a hepatitis c/b test done in January 2011 and it was negative.
So in 6 months can the infection (if occurred) cause such huge hepatomegaly?

skindoctor2000:
No, it is unlikely to be hepatitis or you would surely have got bouts of pain and severe jaundice.

Customer:
None of it. Of course slight pain is there after seeing the abnormal liver tests.

skindoctor2000:
So it is very unlikely to be hepatitis.

Customer:
Also doctor when they say about size which size are they talking about? the vertical length/horizontal length or depth?

skindoctor2000:
You can also opt for a liver biopsy. The vertical size.
Customer:
In case of hepatitis b/c recent infections what would be the enzymes reading and liver inflammation size?

skindoctor2000:
Enzyme readings of bilirubin above 7 ALT levels above 80 and inflammation size would vary from person to person but associated with a lot of pain.

Customer:
AST does not have any bearing in that case. also my total protein is 7.1. in recent infections does that also have any bearing? I mean to say in recent infections does total protein also increase dramatically?

skindoctor2000:
No, it does not.

Customer:
So now how do I reduce these levels? How much time will it take?

skindoctor2000:
It will take 4 weeks.
You will need to avoid alcohol, and have a high protein diet. You should also consider taking lactulose.

Customer:
Rice, lentils and vegetables. Yogurt can be taken?

skindoctor2000:
Yes, you can take lots of yoghurt.

Customer:
My only worry is this should not be hepatitis b or hepatitis c. I had a possible exposure (bled by a razor and I am sure it was a new blade) about 2 months ago.

skindoctor2000:
For that you will need to repeat the Hepatitis B testing.
But I feel mostly your symptoms are not showing any indications.

Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience: MBBS DNB