Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I get sharp pointed twinges of pain just under my left ribcage.

I get sharp pointed twinges of pain just under my left ribcage. It feels like someone inside grabbing and pinching and then it subsides. I have had this for years but this week it seems to be more constant. It is sharp almost to the point that I want to say Ouch and then it subsides. It is not sore or tender otherwise. Feels just below the skin, not deep.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Sorry to hear about this problem

There can be few causes of such pain. The most likely cause is that the pain may be muscular in origin. Diaphragm has its attachments on the ribs and this can be the site of sharp pain.
Another possibility is that the pain can be due to gastric ulcer or gastritis. This may cause inflammation of the mucosa of the stomach and this may result in bouts of pain.
Also pain can be related to heart and angina can also present with pain in this region. though the pain is not typical of angina but this is a life threatening condition and angina should be ruled out first by doing an ECG.
You should get an ECG done to rule out angina.
Endoscopy should be done to diagnose if any ulcers are present .
Stool for presence of occult blood should be done as well.
A fresh ultrasound should be done to visualise any abnormality.
Your best course would be to visit a doctor who would be able to examine you and have a look at the test results to reach a diagnosis.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seems if it were muscular in nature, it would occur during certain movements. It can happen when I am perfectly still. It wakes me at night. It is in a very specific area which I can pinpoint at any time and doesn't move.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
If at all it is muscular in origin, then few measures can be taken.
Apply analgesic cream like brufen gel .
Give oral anti inflammatories like diclofenac etc
Muscle relaxants like tezanidine may be of help in this condition.

Best of luck...Take care.

Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career