Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

What is the life expectancy of a person with 20% lung capacity

What is the life expectancy of a person with 20% lung capacity (emphysema). She is on 6 liters of oxygen continuously, breathing treatments w/ xopenex (spell?) and atrovent every 4 hours - some days can walk 40 feet and other days goes into distress at walking 25 feet to the washroom. I realize this isn't a one size fits all answer - but generally. I am her daughter, very involved in providing her care and also have to help her plan financially. Thank yoiu.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer...
Well the the BODE Index is an index used by pulmonologists to predict the mortality associated with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Include Emphysema and Chronic Bronchitis)...
This index uses various markers of the disease in order to calculate the score, and based on this score mortality can be determined or estimated...
Have a look at BODE index by clicking the underlying link;

http://www.pulmonaryrehab.com.au/pdfs/BodeIndexForCOPD.pdf

In her case, she appears to have a score of above 7.
Patients having score of 7-10 have mortality rate of around 80% in 52 months. This means out of 100 patients with a score of 7 or more, 80 will be dead at 52 months.
However, individual variations exist, and the survival may become short in the presence of other co-morbids like age, heart disease, diabetes, or hypertension. Recurrent infections also affect the prognosis badly, and so does the smoking.
I hope this answers your question...
Kindest Regards...