Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

What causes left shoulder blade area to have burning and sharp

What causes left shoulder blade area to have burning and sharp pins and needles pain that radiate down arm and hand?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.

As such your symptoms suggest the possibility of pinched nerve in the neck. ( Cervical radiculopathy)
Cervical radiculopathy is caused by any condition that puts pressure on the nerves where they leave the spinal column. These nerves after passing from neck radiating to arms and fingers.
Any sort of pressure in pathways of nerves can result in radiating pain,tingling sensation in arms and hands .

So you should undergo an MRI/X-Ray examination of the cervical spine ( AP and lateral views) for further evaluation
Take proper rest.
You should go for physical therapy for pain management.

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses on neck .
Also take OTC Motrin .

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What kind of specialist do I go to... Can they do anything for a pinched nerve?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
You should consult an Orthopedist for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.
Compression of nerve can be cause due to Arthritic degenerative changes,Herniated disc in cervical spine.
So X-ray/MRI of cervical spine should be done in your case.
Usually first conservative treatment should be advised which may include NSAIDS,physical therapy,rest,neck brace,massage,stretching exercises.
In severe pain,traction,opiod medications,steroid injections may be recommended.
When conservative treatment don't provide relief ,surgical intervention should be advised.
I hope this helps.