Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Once you stop taking Omeprazole how long does it stay in

Customer Question

Once you stop taking "Omeprazole" how long does it stay in your body? I have been using this medication long term and now am suffering from severe swelling. My doctor and I think it might be the medication. HELP PLEASE?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question.
Well Omeprazole effects last for 3-5 days after discontinuation of therapy.
And it is advised not to stop Omeprazole abruptly.
Your doctor should either advise to reduce your medication dosage gradually or switch to ranitidine as a possible alternative.
It is possible to get rebound acid production when omeprazole is stopped abruptly.
Apart from this,swelling or fluid retention is rare listed side effect of Omeprazole.
So other possible cause of swelling should be ruled out as well.
I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have consulted my doctor and she really does not have an answer for me; except that I was taking Abilify for my depression; but was only on it for 3 weeks and that is when I started having the severe swelling. She ran blood work and a urinalysis to rule out kidney problems and my tests were normal. She believes it is the Abilify that has caused this problem. I have been off the Abilify for 8 days now and I still have the severe swelling in my feet and ankles. Is it possible that it takes that long for the drug to get out of my system?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
Swelling or fluid retention is listed side effect of Abilify however not so common.
As you have persistent severe swelling on feet and ankles so other possible causes like Venous insufficiency,Lymphatic obstruction,prolonged hours of standing/sitting in same position,underlying Liver/Cardiac pathology should be ruled out in your case.
And you may need to undergo CBC,ESR,EKG,Liver function test,Color doppler study of lower limbs,Serum electrolytes for further evaluation.
You should elevate and exercise your legs.
Limit your salt intake.
And consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it is the Abilify medication; how long before it is out of my body and I could see some results?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 years ago.
Well Abilify eliminates in 1 -2 weeks out of system after stopping medication.
And as your swelling is severe even after stopping medication for last 8 days it is advised to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management ASAP .
And not wait as your swelling is severe.