Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

What are the causes of low grade afternoon or evening fever?

Causes of low grade, late afternoon or evening fever every day for several days in a row. No other symptoms. Had the same thing about 15 years ago and lasted about a month or so and finally went away. Have been treating w/ ibuprofen, but, of, course, that only helps the symptoms. Have had it for 4 days now.

Hello and welcome to the just answer website.

I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Do you have cough?

Was any diagnosis made 15 years ago?

Is there chest pain?

Any enlarged lymph nodes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No to all

Thanks for the info given. Everybody gets slight fever in the evening because it is natural cycle of internal thermostat. Your normal body temperature varies throughout the day according to circadian rhythm — it's lower in the morning and higher in the late afternoon and evening. There is decrease in the secretion of cortisol in the evening, so there is increase in the temperature.

But a low grade fever with tiredness, fatigue, lethargy can be due to bacterial infection especially tuberculosis. The lower respiratory tract infections are associated with evening rise in temperature. So the most likely cause is bacterial infection. As you have no other symptom, it is difficult to make the diagnosis without tests. You need complete blood Count, ESR, urine routine testing for tuberculosis to rule out these causes or any underlying condition.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination. So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.