TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases

Doctor, I have been on Atripla for 4 years. Im concerned

I have been on Atripla for 4 years. I'm concerned that I might have a build up of lactic acidosis in my blood. Weakness in the arms and legs. Very, veery tired. My vi-load has been undectable and c-d acount runs around 800. Should I be concerned or is this a side effect that I have to live with. I just moved to Alabama from Virginia and had a good doctor in Va. Now I just found a doctor in Alabama and had some blood work done but don't know the lab results yet. Let me know what you think?
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 years ago.

This is an easy one to answer-

A routine chemistry panel will show if you have acidosis.

And a specific test for lactic acid will show if you have lactic acidosis.

Fatigue and weakness are common, nonspecific symptoms- and can be from many things- anemia, low thyroid function, low testosterone, a muscular problem, dysfunction of kidneys, liver, heart disease, or even just depression.

Before jumping on blaming the Atripla, just find out the results of your current tests.

And given your good response to therapy, do not stop your medications without discussing with a doctor.

Good luck

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.
POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.