Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I have a large lump above the incision. Is this scar tissue

I have a large lump above the incision. Is this scar tissue and when will this go away?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.Hello,

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Where is the incision?

Mysticdoc :

is the lump painful?

Customer:

The incision is in the groin. Mesh was used during surgery. The lump is not painful.

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

does it feel firm or soft?

Customer:

It is firm and does not feel like a hernia.

Mysticdoc :

when was the surgery done?

Customer:

The surgery was performed three weeks ago.

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

based on your description, this sounds like a condition called osteitis pubis.

Customer:

Is this scar tissue from the mesh?

Mysticdoc :

this is the inflammation of the pubic bone located at the surgical site.

Mysticdoc :

it is linked to the mesh but not the scar tissue

Mysticdoc :

it is the inflammed tissue from surgery.

Mysticdoc :

this should go away over time say in 3 months.

Mysticdoc :

if it does not, then this needs to be removed if it causes pain.

Mysticdoc :

this is not uncommon.

Customer:

Can I resume normal activities, treadmill and weights at the gym?

Customer:

\

Mysticdoc :

yes you resume normal activities and treadmill.

Mysticdoc :

weight traing should be avoided for 2 more weeks.

Customer:

Does this happen to everyone after hernia surgery? Is the inflammation due to the mesh?

Mysticdoc :

it happen in 5-10% cases.

Mysticdoc :

yes this is from the mesh

Mysticdoc :

but do not worry.

Mysticdoc :

this is not concerning.

Customer:

Is it possible that it will not go away? I was on my feet 3-4 hours at a time the second week of surgery. Did

Mysticdoc :

most of the time it will.

Customer:

I hit the wrong button, did I do something to cause this?

Mysticdoc :

but sometimes ( 20-30%) cases, this may need to be addressed surgically.

Customer:

Did I do something to cause this?

Mysticdoc :

no you did not.

Mysticdoc :

but you should get it checked by your doctor.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX so much better. My surgeon has been away on vacation and I think I just needed a little reassurance that this wasn't the hernia back again. He also used two pieces of mesh, one inside and outside the abdominal wall. Could this extra mesh be responsible for all the inflammation?

Mysticdoc :

this is a common procedure.

Mysticdoc :

both the mesh can cause similar reaction.

Mysticdoc :

once your surgeon is back please get it checked.

Mysticdoc :

hernia is unlikely since this is not painful, and cannot be reduced.

Customer:

Thank you again, you have answered all my questions.

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD