Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

what causes high globulin level. Nomal range is 2.3 to 3.5.

what causes high globulin level. Nomal range is 2.3 to 3.5. Mine is 3.9 but my albumin is in normal range at 4.1. I have heard that diabetes can be a cause, is that so?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the just answer website.Please see the post below as your answer.
Expert:  Dr.David replied 2 years ago.
Here is your answer:
There are lot many causes which can cause high globulin levels.Most common of them are:chronic Inflammatory diseases (ex: TB, Syphilis),multiple myeloma,leukemias,autoimmune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis,lupus,autoimmune hepatitis,Kidney disease(diabetes can also cause kidney disease called diabetic nephropathy),liver disease.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the cause varies from inflammatory disease to leukemia.But this single test is not enough to diagnose any disease. You need other specialized tests to know the exact underlying cause. Yes, diabetic nephropathy can be a cause.. The tiny blood vessels of kidney get damaged by high levels of sugar in the blood This causes kidney disease, which is called nephropathy.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for specialized tests to know the underlying cause & treat accordingly.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Dr.David, Doctor
Experience: Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a normal blood sugar test, so does this mean no diabetis. I have neuropothy, numbness in toes at times, so this can be beginning stages of diabetis, right. And diabetis can cause a high level of globulin so I read. I have no symptoms of leukemia, ie....no night sweats, loss of appetite, weight loss or easy bruising...but my family physician tells me that I would have no signs.....very confusing.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 2 years ago.

Are you taking any medication for controlling diabetes or you were never diagnosed for diabetes?
For what reason you were tested for albumin & globulin levels?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
never been diagnosed for diabetes, and am on NO medication for it
Expert:  Dr.David replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Its good to know that you were never diagnosed for diabetes.The neuropathy you are having is not due to diabetes & also it is not the cause for high globulin levels.

The neuropathy & numbness in toes you are having can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure,stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.Tests like electromyography and nerve conduction studies,certain blood tests,electro physiological studies are required to make the exact diagnosis

Diabetes is ruled out.You need other blood tests,x-rays,CT scan,urine tests,clinical examination accordingly to know the underlying cause & treat accordingly.

Regards-
Dr.David.

Dr.David, Doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok..........as a 67 yr old male I had the annual physical a week ago. ALL levels of blood work up were good, urine, blood sugar ect.......except globulin was out of range.....normal is 2.3 to 3.5, mine was 3.9. Doctor is not terribly concerned since the other part of liver test was in normal range. He said if it was low and globulin high, he would be concerned. He wants a follow up test done in 2 to 4 weeks to be sure, he said it could be a false positive or inflamatory disease etc.....I have psoraic arthritis, and read that autoimmune disease can also raise globuline levels. I have psoratic arthritis too and saw it onthe list of autoimmune diseases.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated here

Expert:  Dr.David replied 2 years ago.
As your all tests are normal,this is good news.If albumin is low & globulin is high, then this is of great concern but this is not the case.A repeat test is must to get a more clear view & rule out if it was false positive. And yes, as I have listed above that auto immune disorder is a common cause of high globulin level,psoriatic arthritis seems to be the most probable cause.So have a repeat test after 2-4 weeks.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Dr.David, Doctor