Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

My Diastolic bp is always high, about 88 to 99 but by Systolic

My Diastolic bp is always high, about 88 to 99 but by Systolic is normal 108 to 120. When I use BP medication it brings my systolic to under 100 and I feel very dizzy. What contributes to my Diastolic number being so high?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 5 years ago.

Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer

Dr Wajid :

Can you please tell me what medicines you are currently taking for the diastolic hypertension?

Customer:

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

hi I tried Coversyl, water pills, cozaar and now I am on Atacand, but they all get the systolic too low and I feel very dizzy (100/80

Customer:

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Dr Wajid :

Well the diastolic blood pressure is caused mainly due to the arterial resistance in the major arteries such as aorta...

Dr Wajid :

And with age, due to calcification in these major blood vessels occur causing reduced compliance of the vessels, the diastolic blood pressure tends to increase

Dr Wajid :

Therefore in order to treat Diastolic blood pressure drugs that increase the arteriolar resistance are more preferable

Dr Wajid :

Also a reduction in weight, eating salt free diet and regular exercise helps...