Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I drink red wine every night, a bottle, I take xanax .5 mg

I drink red wine every night, a bottle, I take xanax .5 mg 1x/day to go to sleep and for anxiety, but lately I've been much more anxious, had numbness in my fingers and trembling hands. Am I having side effects of the mixture of xanax & red wine? I stopped taking xanax two days ago, but still have symptoms, I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin, literally.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
hello
how long?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 year...my husband died at 36 of a heart attack two years ago, I was prescribed prozac and then xanax, but did not drink at the time, then my mother committed suicide, I started to drink on occassion and then daily, I know it is not ok, but want to make sure that what I am feeling is because of the combination and not something else, like a stroke.
The level of alcohol alone is enough to cause nerve damage.
The xanax and the alcohol potentiate side effects to together they can also because these symptoms.
Stroke would more often be one sided.
Cervical disc disease could cause this.

Alcohol withdrawal during the day is very possible.

You need serious medical interaction at this point, a Neuro exam, blood levels for B vitamins and liver function, etc.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please click accept to give answer credit and pay. Come back as needed to clarify 0r let me know how things went. Bonuses and positive feedback are most helpful. Answers are for informational purposes only , not to substitute for a physician, medical advice or physician visit.