Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have three toes on my right foot that are going numb quite

I have three toes on my right foot that are going numb quite often. It is somewhat difficult to walk when this happens. Are there any generall causes for this?
Thank you
Diane

Which toes are the ones that are going numb?
Do you have any numbness of the leg?
Back pain?
Any chronic health problems?
Do you take any medications?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The toes are the middle through the small toe

No numbness in my leg

No back problems

No health problems

Only Simvastatin

Thank you for clarifying,

There are many things that can cause numbness in the toes.
The nerves that supply the third, fourth and fifth toes arise from the L5 and S1 level of the spinal cord. So, the problem could be originating from this area of the back or anywhere along the course of these nerves.

It is also possible that the problem is arising from wearing shoes that compress the toes too tightly. Try wearing shoes with a wide toe box or flip flops to see if this makes any difference.

Metabolic problems such as vitamin deficiencies and diabetes, for example, can also cause problems with numbness in the feet; however these usually cause a symmetric numbness (meaning it will usually be on both sides of the body).

What I recommend is to consider the type of shoes you are wearing and to discuss with your doctor whether an EMG/nerve conduction test may be warranted. This test will be able to determine whether you have a nerve compression syndrome occurring in your back or ankle area that is leading to the recurring numbness.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!