Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician
Experience:  13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.
23307758

What is a DEA Watch List or Flagging for doctor shopping/excessive

Customer Question

What is a "DEA Watch List" or "Flagging" for doctor shopping/excessive prescriptions? I have had two plastic surgeries in the last five months, one of which did not go very well, so I have been getting regular scripts for Norco, albeit for different doctors. I also take a high dosage of Xanax to deal with anxiety. Is there any way to be removed from this list - doctors are now reluctant to have me as a patient?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lori :

Hello, I am Dr. Lori and I am happy to help you today with your question. Are you available to chat now?

Dr. Lori :

Hi there-

Dr. Lori :

Well- you got the right doc, because I do that checking all day long. Many states, not all, have a system where any controlled drug RX filled with your name& birthday in your state are kept track of on the DEA internet sites for each state. So- I could, having registered access to this system because I am a physician who requested access. Any provider who writes for controlled drugs will usually ask for access, if it is available in your state- which it obviously is. So- I go to this site, put XXXXX XXXXX and his birthday- and it gives me every XXXXX XXXXX in CA (where I am) . I then simply verify which address I want- and usually it has the past 2-3 years of your history, and every drug that is Controlled (old triplicates, pain meds, xanax etc) that you have received, which pharmacies you got them at, and which doc wrote it. You cannot be removed from "the list" as it registers EVERY script for xanax and Norco EVER given. If you have multiple entries, multiple scripts from many docs for the same controlled drug in a month's time, it is immediately obvious that the system is being abused, and the doc looking at the info usually will refuse to write for you. Depends if you have a pain agreement or not- but this practice you are doing is Illegal. Technically, the DEA will view it as Fraud- you never told Doctor A that Doctor B writes these for you. Also, it catches forgeries, and hence, doctors who have access, which are most who care, should either offer you a pain contract- one doc- one pharmacy- no cheating- or he can discharge you from his practice in the future.

Dr. Lori :

If this is done right, the docs should be doing drug testing, counting your pills, etc.

Dr. Lori :

SO- your challenge now is to find a doc who will make this contract with you, and if you break it- he can do what he likes--- some call the police.

Dr. Lori :

Also- be very careful- Pharmacies have access to this same system. They can look you up too. If your Rx for Norco was written by Doctor A 14 days ago, and now you come to fill Rx from Doctor B, A good Pharmacist will call both docs. This is how all the docs keep in check. And Pharmacy A can see what you got at Pharmacy B. They call eachother, too.

Dr. Lori :

So- find a doc who will contract with you. Pain Specialists will do this. Then they will Rx for you, but you have to mind the rules. If you break the rules, they can discharge you- And pharmacists can refuse to fill at their store. And, the most concerning- All of these people can call the police or DEA, and you can be investigated. This is how people who doctor shop get over 1000 pills a month--- and sell them all to survive. That...is time in the big house. If your pain and anxiety are legitimate, you should be able to find someone. But if you get many Rxs per month, from many docs-- most won't take you.

Dr. Lori :

The big question is - though-- are you doing this because you are addicted? Or is doc A not treating your pain adequately? If that, you need to tell him so he can change the amount of Norco you get from him, or even the drug or dose. That will save you. Tell your main doc. Fess up if you really need them. If you are addicted and need help, you need to see a pain doc who prescribes Suboxone-- to treat pain and addiction. Only so many docs can Rx Suboxone. It is a special licensing from the DEA. Ask pain specialists or addiction specialists if that is the problem and if you are ready.

Dr. Lori :

But it is good you asked this-- because you haven't been caught yet. And there is a doc out there who will help. Play by the rules, and you will be OK.

Dr. Lori :

I hope that helped- if you have any questions to ask, please do-- this is about 50% of my practice- so I know this stuff. You could tell me your state, and I could tell you if their system is up yet. But- it is safer to assume they do, and change your practice. It is unsafe, possibly lethal (you can't take more than 8 Norco a day Chronically- it will cause serious liver damage, and possibly death). Just be honest, start from scratch and ask to contract with a doc. ONE doc. ONE pharmacy. NO Jail.

Dr. Lori :

Let me know if you need anything---

Dr. Lori :

Please click accept if I was helpful- and I would appreciate positive feedback. Thank you And.............Be well.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Lori,

Experience: 13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I give you my name and DOB, can you pull my report and confidentially advise me about what's going on?
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 3 years ago.

I only have access to California database. You would have to live in California first, But In addition- we are not permitted to exchange personal information, and JA policy would erase your name before I could see it-- so I am afraid this cannot be done.

Any doc you see should be willing to show you your report-- you should ask them, especially if they have access and already care for you.

I wish I could do more!

Good luck!