Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

What type of surgery is required to remove a synovial cyst

What type of surgery is required to remove a synovial cyst at C8?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.

Your symptoms are all suggestive of pressure on the nerve root by the synovial cyst.

The synovial cyst in the cervical region is an extradural cyst (ie, outside the lining of the spinal cord) and so the surgery is not so dangerous.

It is a neurosurgical surgery and done by the neurosurgeon.

The surgery is expected to give you immediate relief both from the the weakness and the pain.

The complications in delaying the surgery is that the cyst tends to gradually enlarge, compressing the nerve root further and further increasing your symptoms. Also the cyst may enlarge suddenly also, and this would lead to an episode of severe sudden pain and weakness.

You should consult a Neurosurgeon for this if you are not already consulting one. You should ask about the surgery and go ahead with the surgery if you have already been advised for this.

You can read up here about a similar case which was also treated by surgery and achieved good results:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15280765

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dr. Jyoti,

I am waiting to hear from a neurosurgeon. I am asking what the surgery is? I can't find anything that describes the procedure I will be undergoing.

I am an ENT specialist and also a head and neck surgeon operating on the neck (though I do not do exactly this surgery).

There are two types of surgery done here:

Microdecompression Surgery

Microdecompression Surgery with Fusion.

Fusion of cervical discs is done when there is movement between the spines to stop this movement, so that there is no chance of recurrence.

You should ask your doctor which of these surgeries would be advisable for you, decompression alone or along with fusion.

The steps of Microdecompression Surgery are the same as Microdiscectomy surgery. You can read up about the steps, risks and complications of this surgery here:
http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/posterior-cervical-decompression-microdiscectomy-surgery