Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

Pain behind left ear and down the neck

I have a pain behind my left ear running down my neck can you please tell me what is causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any swelling behind the ear or other symptom? How often does it happen? Was any test done?

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pain has been there for several weeks. There is no swelling. My doctor says is it just wear and tear.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Where there is no swelling, the probable cause can be due to muscle spasm. Tylenol can help with the pain. You can also apply warm moist compress. Some stretching exercise may help. But is it should be done under guidance of physiotherapist. If the pain continues, you need to get a review by doctor. He can take X ray or scan to rule out any other factor.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not think it can be muscle spasm because when I turn my head I can hear a bone click.

I do rub a heat warming cream on it and a warm pad to relieve the pain

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Then you should get an X ray or a scan. Nerve impingement at the spine can be a cause. You need a review by doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

You are always welcome to JustAnswer. Wish you a very healthy life.

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a pain on the left hand side of my left leg, I am a diabetic what do you think is causing this?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
When did it start? How far does it extend in the leg? Is there any redness, swelling? Is your diabetes under control? Do you have any back pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started about a week ago. Around the side of my knee it does not go far down my leg there is no redness or swelling. My diabetes is under control I do not have any back pain.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

There can be a few probables. It can occur from an inflammation in the joint, or from a sprain or strain of the ligament. Sometimes pinched nerve can be there. You should get an examination by doctor if the pain continues.. Till then you can apply warm moist compress over it. If the pain is more analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or advil can be taken if there is no contraindication.

Regards.